Logo

Replace 318 w360 or biggermatching parts

bootyscootn

My houseboat is a 1973 Kings C

My houseboat is a 1973 Kings Craft...36'...Chrysler LM 318...225hp...Paragon V-Drive. This summer my tranny locked in forward and still is. I want just a little bit bigger engine when I replace the tranny...my engine has been repaired with jb weld due to improper winterizing by previous owner...my main question is: When I replace the tranny can I go with a Chrysler 360 and will everything off my 318 line up??? My bell housing...intake manifold...starter....etc??? What hp will the 360 have?...At one point this past summer my boat ran at 3200 rpm and I was quite impressed...what will the 360 do? What is the best way to go as far as engine and tranny replacement...please help! Thank you!

"..."When I replace the tr

"..."When I replace the tranny can I go with a Chrysler 360 and will everything off my 318 line up??? My bell housing...intake manifold...starter....etc???"

The flywheel if different, along with the oil pan and damper pulley. The starter is the same (per engine rotation direction) and the bellhousing fits, but (I'm told) one of the motor mounts is different.

..."What hp will the 360 have?...At one point this past summer my boat ran at 3200 rpm and I was quite impressed...what will the 360 do?"

It'll be a little bit faster and, if you reprop it; you might get better gas mileage.

..."What is the best way to go as far as engine and tranny replacement..."

Buy a rebuilt 318 (NOT 360) long block and get a rebuilt tranny as well. All of your parts not included will fit, as will the mounts.

Jeff"

"I second Jeff's suggestio

"I second Jeff's suggestion.

If you had a runabout, or were replacing both motors in a twin-screw, the difference you’d notice from a 360 upgrade might be worth the consideration. However, in a boat like yours, the “performance” gain is going to be negligible and, therefore, probably not worth the adjustments involved in the swap.

If you were impressed with the way it ran this summer, you’ll probably be really happy a fresh 318 and trans."

Thanxfor the response....after

Thanxfor the response....after giving it thought I think I'll replace the 318 wtih another 318...will save a lotta headaches....and I was pleased with the performance!

"Good call Frank.

Many of u

"Good call Frank.

Many of us have installed remanufactured long blocks purchased from a number of different sources. If you do, in fact, decide to go that route, it's probably worth a new post to get people's feedback on price, quality, vendor, etc.

You could research yourself to death online. If nothing else, this forum might help drastically reduce the analysis paralysis that often results from online information overload."

"Good point. Since you have to

"Good point. Since you have to pay for shipment of such a heavy object, location enters into it as well. I bought my long block from a vendor in New Jersey (and I'm really happy with it), so if that's reasonably close to you let me know.

Jeff"

Check out the thread "new

Check out the thread "new long block or rebuild". Rapidomarine will have the best price by far even factoring in shipping. I sometimes get fooled into buying a more expensive product thinking it must be better than the cheaper one. I need a new 318 long block myself here in the coming months so I am very interested in these threads. Ive heard good and bad things about rapidomarine but I'm sure you will hear that about every company you deal with. I just wonder why Rapido is so much less than everyone else. Maybe just a high volume company? I don't know.

Thanx sammi for the response a

Thanx sammi for the response and info...I checked into rapidomarine and I think that's where I'm gonna order a Chrysler 318 engine...due to the fact I live on my Houseboat and travel the Tennessee waterways...I don't have transportation...so having and engine shipped will be the best wat to go for me...want ya to know that Auto Zone has the same marine engine for around the same price and warranty...but you have to go to a store and pick it up...don't know how much their shipping cost are. Again thank you!

Now that my problem has been s

Now that my problem has been solved per buying a new engine does anyone have any info or site(s) for a Paragon V-drive tranny...I've looked up a few but you guys did a much better job then I did on the engine so thot I'd hit ya back...thanx for the help!

"Frank, re: Rapido....you may

"Frank, re: Rapido....you may want to get in touch with Tony from this forum. There are some very recent posts regarding his current build-out of a Rapido long block.

He's got first-hand experience with them."

How do I contact Tony at this

How do I contact Tony at this forum??? I returned a email but didn't get a response...I don't wanna purchase an engine from rapido If I'm gonna have a problem with the long block...I would be defeating my purpose...maybe I'll just get it at Auto Zone...at least they are reputable!

That is a good question and I&

That is a good question and I'm not even sure of the rotation of my engine now that you mention it...they do sell a Chrysler 318 marine engine and I didn't think to ask about the rotation. I better check into it and find out my rotation.

Back