Logo

1999 70HP Johson no spark

sharkb8

"Went fishing and boat started

"Went fishing and boat started fine. While out on water ran great. Stopped for while then went to restart and there is no spark. Checked stop switch, coil packs and all are ok. Thinking it is either CDI unit or sensor coil. Can you help nut this out before I spend too much money unnecessarily. thanx"

"power pack........ck ign timi

"power pack........ck ign timing...after repl..that is the most COMMON....u could have other probs.....me,i'd stk a pack on it,and ck h spd timing.
how,..do u know,there is no spark?...the above,is for a dead ign sys..90 % pack."

"actually...i rem a prob w the

"actually...i rem a prob w the timer base on those eng when i was at a dealership....but,i cant rem,..the initial prob...we had fits w/those,and all elect ck'ed out ok,..till u fire it up..
service rep said repl timer base ...bingo...ran great.....great eng,by the way..i love those 3 cyl 70's and have built,...prob 50."

"Thanx for your help guys. I

"Thanx for your help guys. I pulled all plugs out, started engine and there was no spark. Can't chk h spd timing cos motor won't run at all. Will try timer base cos that's a positive sign. Will let you know. Yep this motor is good and I wouldn't have any other. Thanx heaps.
Dave"

Hi again. Thank you so much f

Hi again. Thank you so much for your advice. Yep we're gonna replace the pack as have checked timer base and other things and all seems okay. Will let you know the outcome and hopefully we'll be out fishing again very soon.
Dave

Back