Logo

Fouling plugs

I recently rebuilt a 96 70hp f

I recently rebuilt a 96 70hp for my cousin. It now has good compression and idles great. He said when he took it to the lake it ran good for a little while but then would stall in gear. He had a mechanic look at it and told him the plugs were fouling really fast(less than 30 minutes). We are double oiling to break it in but I wouldn't expect them to foul that fast. The same mechanic rebuilt the carbs about 2 weeks before any of this happened so I didn't look at them. Any ideas on what I should check when he brings it by?

I have found that 24 ounces of

I have found that 24 ounces of oil to 6 gal of gas is plenty for breaking in a motor. For the first 10 hours. Be sure to run the motor at various speeds and none for long periods of time. After 7 or 8 hours you can run it WOT for short periods of time. Make sure you have the right plugs in it.

"[i]The same mechanic rebuilt

"The same mechanic rebuilt the carbs about 2 weeks before any of this happened so I didn't look at them. Any ideas on what I should check when he brings it by?

Did you adjust the carburetor needles properly after the rebuild? If the idle is too rich, it will foul your spark plugs.

Check this out for carb. adjustment procedure.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352"

Not sure if it has an idle adj

Not sure if it has an idle adjustment being a 96 but when he brings it by I will let you guys know what I see. Thanks for the help.

"modern outboards,..do not &#3

"modern outboards,..do not 'foul' plugs,...like of the early 60's 70's....
if he is running dbl oil for brk in,..it may smk more,...kick it and blow it out....too much oil,...overly mixed,is a more common occurance,..than a dbl oil mix....
IS THIS ENG ON VRO/OMS?....new unit inst at overhaul?......"

It is still on VRO but we adde

It is still on VRO but we added a mixture in the tank to double oil it. Possibly something wrong with vro? Thanks for your thoughts and I will try to give more information as soon as I get it back here.

Back