Logo

318 fwc exhaust manifold coolant fitting

eero_karppa

"There is a 45 degree elbow bl

"There is a 45 degree elbow blocking one of the manifold bolts and am unable to get a socket on the bolt. The elbow comes out counter-clockwise but won't come out all the way because it hits the manifold. It looks like the elbow is inside another fitting which threads into the manifold. My question is; which way does the fitting that goes into the manifold thread out? I have the log style with fixed exhaust.

Thanks,
Eero"

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
334701.jpg
"

"I know what you mean! I'v

"I know what you mean! I've CURSED those damn fittings many a time, and I grind hell out of it soon as the manifold is off to elminate the problem.

Center punch the bolt, then drill the head off. The manifold will then come off over the bolt's remains, which can be removed with Vise Grips.

Note: This is a good weay to get the bolts out in any case, to avoid snapping them off in the heads.

Jeff"

"so you have an elbow there fo

"so you have an elbow there for cleaning or winterizing? good idea. Mine are off now, might think of doing that"

"It's where the antifreeze

"It's where the antifreeze comes in from the heat exchanger. I forgot to take the camera to the marina today but I did remember to take a grinder.The old "electric chisel" solved the problem... shaved a couple millimeters off the side of the fitting, and the socket all of a sudden fit on. I'm just wondering how the manifolds can rot out so badly seeing as there's only antifreeze in there. The only place salt water enters is in the elbows and they seem like they're in better shape. Go figure.

Eero"

"I believe that salt water is

"I believe that salt water is in the manifolds as well, it comes out of the elbow or at least that's how mine seem to be plumbed. if that's not the case i have a problem i guess."

"From what I have gathered, sa

"From what I have gathered, salt water is in the manifolds only in raw water cooled engines... fresh water cooled engines only have antifreeze in them so corrosion should be minimal unless the salt water was getting sucked in backwards somehow from the elbows. You got me on that one"

There are two types of FWC eng

There are two types of FWC engines:

1) Those with " block only " FWC.

2) Those with both block & exhaust manifold cooling.

"And BOTH of them rust out ins

"And BOTH of them rust out inside from the exhaust going through! Especially at the bottom, where the paint wears off.

Jeff"

Back