Logo

How do you manually trim up a motor if you trim motor goes

"My trim motor went on my 50 h

"My trim motor went on my 50 hp motor and the motor is down. so to take the motor of i need to trim up my motor, how do i do this? i have a red nob on the the side of the bracket that i thought allowed you to manually trim your motor but it doesnt even move? any help?"

"there should be a vent/manual

"there should be a vent/manual release screw, turn it and lift the engine from the bottom"

"how hard is it going to be fo

"how hard is it going to be for me to manually tilt it? do i need to jack it up with a jack or should i be able to do this by hand, because i threw it in forward gear and when i pull up it doesnt even budge?"

If you have trim and tilt you

If you have trim and tilt you wont have a reverse lock. If the motor has internal trim and tilt there will be a release screw which you can access through the side of the transom bracket. It turns anti clockwise and undo it about one turn then try to lift the engine.

Re: If you have trim and tilt you

Was this ever figured out? I have a follow up. I have like an 80 or 81 Johnson Seahorse V4 90hp outboard and the power tilt only now workes in the down direction. This just happened out of nowhere. When I try to raise it I hear the relay clicking, but nothing happens. Each direction has it's own relay, so I swapped relays thinking the contacts might be bad and still only the down direction works, so I know the relays are good. The problem seems to be from the relay box on back to the motor. I cannot lift the motor even when opening the reservoir plug on the pump reservoir. The two lift pistons areattached the the motor housing through holes with locknuts on the otherside which go onto the threaded ends of the lift pistons. I took off those nuts figuring when we lifted the motor manually that the pistons would slide right out of the holes and we could lift the motor. No can do. It's almost as if there's some kind of mechanical thing holding us back because we almost lifted the tail of the boat right off the trailer and the motor did not budge a millimeter when we tried to lift it. Any idea? I can't identify the exact model number because I can't lift the motor to see the model tag on the mounting bracket. All around this really sucks. Any help is appreciated!

Was this ever figured out? I have a follow up. I have like an 80 or 81 Johnson Seahorse V4 90hp outboard and the power tilt only now workes in the down direction. This just happened out of nowhere. When I try to raise it I hear the relay clicking, but nothing happens. Each direction has it's own relay, so I swapped relays thinking the contacts might be bad and still only the down direction works, so I know the relays are good. The problem seems to be from the relay box on back to the motor. I cannot lift the motor even when opening the reservoir plug on the pump reservoir. The two lift pistons areattached the the motor housing through holes with locknuts on the otherside which go onto the threaded ends of the lift pistons. I took off those nuts figuring when we lifted the motor manually that the pistons would slide right out of the holes and we could lift the motor. No can do. It's almost as if there's some kind of mechanical thing holding us back because we almost lifted the tail of the boat right off the trailer and the motor did not budge a millimeter when we tried to lift it. Any idea? I can't identify the exact model number because I can't lift the motor to see the model tag on the mounting bracket. All around this really sucks. Any help is appreciated!

Had exactly the same problem with my 115 ocean runner. It was stuck down fast and would not budge an inch, no matter how hard I pulled on it.What I discovered by accident I might say is that the motor needs a bit of presure pulling it upwards as you release the manual screw. I put a car jack between my motor leg and my trailer and just wound out a bit of presure and then released the screw, and bingo it popped free and I just lifted the motor manually easy as. Now I just have to figure out why the damn thing will go down and not up.
Cheers Silverarrow

Have exactly the same problem with my 2006 Yamaha 90. Tried above method and it won't budge. Please describe where to put car jack. Is it a hydraulic jack? Do you jack the motor up rasing the jack under the motor's foot?

Back