Logo

Need help water pump 1989 35 hp merc

clarkcaswell

"trying to change waterpump on 1989 35 hp merc 4 bolts removed and shift link disconnected, lower unit will seperate about 1/4" and no more. what next?

thanks
clark"

"trim tab has been removed , t

"trim tab has been removed , the nut on the stud under it seems to be missing. i haven't pryed much yet. using the two front nuts with washers on top to push some. seperation stops at 1/4'."

"I hate to say what e are all

"I hate to say what e are all thinking but i think the driveshaft is seized in the crank
sad.gif
"

"Agreed. Try this:

1. Hang

"Agreed. Try this:

1. Hang the motor upside down by the lower unit, cowling off, with a pad below the powerhead.

2. Drill a small hole in the driveshaft housing where the driveshaft enters the powerhead--you can epoxy it closed later.

3. Shoot lots of penetrating oil in there, aiming for the stuck joint, and let it sit--for weeks if necessary--adding a new squirt everytime you pass it by.

4. For good measure, give te powerhead a good whack with a rubber mallet now and then as well.

You might get lucky!

Jeff"

I have tried Jeff's method

I have tried Jeff's method in my shop with success...once it has soaked for a week i would mount the outboard back on the transon and drill a hole through the skeg for a D shackel and then directly underneth on the concret dyna bolt a piece of angle iron with a hole through it and attach a turn buckle...tighten it up and it should pull the leg down.

The other method which has worked is bolt the outboard back onto the transom and cut a wedge out of wood and knock it inbetween the leg and trunk housing then start the engine...generally the whip in the driveshaft loosens the rusted splines and the leg drops off.

There is one major problem once the leg comes off the splines in crank and or drive shaft may have rusted away

thanks guys. sounds like it w

thanks guys. sounds like it will work. may be a few weeks before i can get back to work on it. will let you know how it comes out

Back