Logo

1959 Evenrude outboard with no spark

T

Terry Justice

" I have recently overhauled m

" I have recently overhauled my 35 horse Evenrude. There were probelms with the ignition switch. After replacing the switch, I get no ignition spark. The starter turns over, but without spark. My assumption is that the problem is in the coil, but since I have no manual I wanted to ask this question. Can the ignition switch affect the spark? It is a 4 way.

If not, can anyone provide me with a source for a replacement coil? "

"Terry.... There are two coils

"Terry.... There are two coils, points, and condensers in that magneto. If you wired that ignition switch wrong, you could very well be throwing 12 volts to the magneto which would destroy quite a bit. Then again, you could have simply shorted out the magneto by having the black wires (2) installed to the switch wrong. Remove the two black wires from the switch and check the ignition again (with the spark plugs removed).

Let us know where you have what colored wire going to what terminal on that ignition switch.

Joe
"

" Thank you for the quick resp

" Thank you for the quick response. I removed the black wires from the switch and still no fire. The engine will turn over, but that is it. The switch is currently wired as follows: Green (from Bat lead on switch to the Silonoid) Yellow or possibly old white (from ign lead on switch to silonoid) Brown (from choke switch to brown going to choke) 1 Black (from ST lead on switch to black in panel box) 2 black (from acc lead on switch to other black in panel)

The switch was wired differently to begin with, so there could have been damage? Can you elaborate on the damage/short? "

" I have inhereted a 4hp eviru

" I have inhereted a 4hp evirude model no BE4RLCCS
which is ideal for my purposes, but i do not know what year and cannot get the engine to fire, it is hardly used and very clean. I have put new plugs in and tested for a spark with plugs removed without success. Also the red button on the handle could either be a press to stop or press to keep running button ? not sure, as youve guessed i do not have a manual, is there anything i could try before i spend out too much money to establish whether the outboard is mostly ok or not, any guidence fully appreciated thanks..... "

Back