Logo

Volvo TAMD 41A General Opinion

lambster

I am looking at a boat that ha

I am looking at a boat that has twin TAMD 41A Volvos and I would like to know if there are any general concerns about the reliability of these engines.

what year are engines i have a

what year are engines i have a 1989 41a their good engines known to smoke parts are little up there

They are '88's. I hav

They are '88's. I have also heard not good things about Volvo Penta gears. These are MS4A mechanical gears Have you had trouble assuming the same gears in your boat?

i also heard ms gear aren'

i also heard ms gear aren't that great my boat came with hs1 gear it was changed when they put in the 41a

"HI,
i am looking at a trawle

"HI,
i am looking at a trawler that has twin Volvo TAMD-40A engines. Can anyone out there tell me about there reliability and availability of parts.
The engines are from 1981!
Thanks
Don"

"Donald...Read other postings

"Donald...Read other postings first by searching the site, then start ur own thread if you cannot find the info... Not cool asking ur question on another posters different topic thread."

hi all

These engines are great motors, there the same blocks used up till 2004 for the tamd range and kad/kamd range engines, now volvo have produced the d series engines. parts are easily available and arent to bad on price depending what you need, yes your correct the the ms4 gearboxes arent the best as the cone that engages the gears wear and may need replacement if hard to engage forward or reverse, best bet is to have the oil drained and see if the oil is discoloured or has lost of bronze filings, thats the 1st sign of a problem with the box, hope this helps

Back