Logo

MARINER 40M SWING SYSTEM

vassvass

"Hi to everyone!I was in this

"Hi to everyone!I was in this board yesterday and it was very helpful.I have a 40M Mariner with S.No. 6E9 - 006900.I think this is a 1985 model.Is it?I also have a seloc manual.Is the type of my outboard E type?The lower unit is it a C type?AND LAST question, can you tell me where in the manual i have, is the swing system details?If anyone can help...!!!Thunks!!!"

"Hi,your motor is a 1987 yamah

"Hi,your motor is a 1987 yamaha based mariner.you will have to give a bit more detail of this "swing system".do you mean the tilting mechanism?"

"I 'll try to explain it d

"I 'll try to explain it different.My motor is very very hard to turn
left or right.Is this the tilting mechanism?To fix this, is it necessary to disable all the lower unit?
Do you know any sight in europe from where i can buy parts?Cause the shipping 'll be much cheaper than U.S. Finally what about the type of my motor?Is it an E ?Ian, thank you very much!!"

"hi,what Jeff means,is that ou

"hi,what Jeff means,is that outboards have an adjustable friction device,that stops the outboard swinging too loosely.yours might be adjusted too tightly.back it off.plus grease the swivel tube bushes.if that doesnt do it ,you may have to drop the bottom mount,and slide the whole motor out of the tube.if you look up marine dealers in yr phone book,you will find parts suppliers.why is an E motor of significance?all you need is the full serial no"

"Maybe this has been asked, is

"Maybe this has been asked, is this a tiller (stick) or does this engine have a remote (steering wheel). If its remote remove the linkage and see if it swings easier."

"The E in the number is part o

"The E in the number is part of the number,no other significance other than to give year guide,the C is the model ref.,eg.,40C M 006900,40hp,C model,manual start.I hope I've been reading Graham's posts correctly
smile.gif
."

"I hate reading forums where a

"I hate reading forums where amateurs chip in, but i am sure this is the same problem that i had with my EL30. Our local boat guys suggested that the pivot tube was either bent or was being held fast by a build up of grease that had been pumped into it over the last 20 odd years. I was advised to apply heat via a blowtorch to the pivot tube and hey presto, the melted gunge starting dripping out before too long. I disconnected the linkage (remote steering) but it was still alittle tight despite having loosened the friction screw. I suppose it was 50% done but my understanding was that the tube must be bent. 2 days later and a few bruises, i had removed the motor from the mountings and on inspection, the tube was showing signs of uneven wear. My local guy had a second hand tube at a price and after another 2 days and several new bruises, i was ready for the water. Hope this helps and to youguys out there keep up this wonderful forum"

thank you all guys you where v

thank you all guys you where very helpful.Colin Rodger is exactly in my problem.Is there any plastic part in the tube that i must change?Is anywhere in my seloc manual the disabling sequence?Cause i cant find it.

"I m an amateur, is it a probl

"I m an amateur, is it a problem?I m trying to get some help on my hobby. Also here in Greece the professionals are not so honest as they likely are in your country. Thanks all of you for your help."

"From memory, there were 2 fib

"From memory, there were 2 fibre shims at the bottom end perhaps the size of 2 large postage stamps and about a half millimetre thick.(wrapped around the tube but in 2 halves) When I managed to remove the tube from the top, there was no evidence of any shims or bushes serving the top of the tube but the shims as described were stilled married to the tube at the bottom thanks to the old melted grease.There was also a thin rubber o'ring right at the bottom under the shims.The shims and the o'rings were undamaged so I re-used them. My real problem was re-alligning the motor back onto the mounting points, of which there are 4 from memory. One of those situations where the motor was supported by a strong friend while I alligned each mounting one by one. Real bush mechanic style I know, but it worked . Once finaly settled into position, the gear rod joined into the lower unit, my superb motor hasn't missed a beat. Don't forget to adjust the friction screw at the top on the port side or your boat will tend to pull to the side or turn rapidly to the right if you let go of the steering wheel.. (if you know what i mean)"

Back