Logo

1975 70hp Johnson

nailbag

"My 1975 70hp has a bad power

"My 1975 70hp has a bad power head, at least one piston is messed up. I bought the boat and the motor was thrown in on the deal. Has a good T/T unit and lower unit and all other parts are good. It was running but not very well. I have a chance of getting a 1980 upper unit with good compression and spark on all cylinders. My question is--will this match up with my 75 model. Either put my lower unit on the 1980 or the 1980 upper unit on my 1975 lower unit. Thanks in advance."

"there may be some shifting di

"there may be some shifting differences,..not sure right now,....i have done all kinds of mixing and matching,and would say u can come up,w/a viable ,usable engine,...between the 2."

Thanks jw. I decided against t

Thanks jw. I decided against the 1980. The same person had a complete 1976 70hp Evinrude in good shape. I was able to hear and see it run and the price was right. Now I have a pretty good engine and a alot of good parts in the 1975 70hp Johnson. I have one prop between the two motors and its not in very good shape. What size prop is best for the 70hp? I'll be running it on a 16ft Cajun. Thanks.

Getting ready to install the t

Getting ready to install the tilt/trim unit from the 75 Johnson to the 76 Evinrude and had some bolt heads shear off. I'm wondering about interchanging the two mounting brackets (the Johnson has the tilt/trim already mounted. Do you have to separate the upper and lower units to change out the mount bracket? I'm looking at it and can't tell how much has to be done to change them. Thanks to everyone.

Back