Logo

1979 70 Johnson shifting problem

snospdr

"With help from everyone at th

"With help from everyone at this site, my engine is running better with only one more problem: Often, when I shift into forward gear, the gears chatter and there is often a sharp "clunk". If I shift with too much power, the boat goes into gear but lurches forward. This is much less evident when I have it hooked up to a hose rather than in the water. I am not shifting slowly but sharply as I should. It does not happen when I shift into reverse. Once in gear, it does not slip out and the engine seems to run fine at high and low speeds. I just put on a new prop because the old one was slipping. By the way, the throttle handle distance forward to engage into forward gear is much greater than the distance of the handle into reverse. Could this be a linkage problem or a clutch dog problem? Thanks for any help!"

"Probably a problem with the l

"Probably a problem with the linkage adjustement or shift rod height. If you disconnect the cable from the shift arm at the engine, the neutral dentent should be in the same place on the cable as on the lever. If they are misaligned, adjust the cable to make it right."

Thanks. Would you clarify for

Thanks. Would you clarify for me what the "neutral dentent" is and what you mean by "same place as on the lever"? I appreciate your help.

"As you manually move the shif

"As you manually move the shift arm after removing the cable, you will feel three dentents. Forward and reverse will be at each end. It will click into a center position: neutral. When you put the shift lever in neutral, the cable will be in the center of it's travel. To set the linkage, you put both in neutral and adjust the nut till they line up while in the center of thier free play."

"On your control box you have

"On your control box you have one detent for neutral, the distance to fwd and to rev should be the same. disconect the shift cable, position the gear lever on the engine into neutral... you will notice if you pull and then push the control cable end there is lost motion!!...position the shift cable in the middle of the lost motion...check if the hole in the shift cable lines up with the stud it slides onto. If it doesnt wind the plastic knurled knob to line up the hole to the stud.

The shift shaft rod height wont go out of adjustment the only time it changes is if you screw it down or up."

Back