Logo

Not Crusader related but my boat has two of them

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"On one of my engine raw water

"On one of my engine raw water intakes has a piece of silicone trapped inside the scupper underneath the boat. I tried getting it with a pick but it's too big. It's probably blocking 20% of the intake so I want to take care of it.

I have the exact same issue with the A/C pick up as well. I unbolted the seacock from the inside but it wouldn't budge. I figured I would remove the scuppper/strainer from underneath the boat but couldn't get it off either. It's basically triangular shaped. I cleaned up the whole thing and removed a screw on each side.

I can now get the front to move down a little but the back (the point of the triangle) won't budge. There's no other fastener so I'm not sure what's holding it in place.

So, before I get too far trying to remove things that are probably held with 3M 5200, is there a way to disassemble the seacocks from the inside w/o completel removal so I can clean them out?

This must happen all the time right?

thanks,
Bob"

"Bob:

Silicone is a good ch

"Bob:

Silicone is a good choice for underwater fittings. If that is what you see, I'd be inclined to pull all the thruhulls and get rid of all the silicone.

Most assemblies let you remmove the sea cock from the thru hull. That should let you get anything out of the scoops. a long pair of forceps is good for that task."

"You could CAREFULLY cook it o

"You could CAREFULLY cook it out of there with a Benzomatic torch. Silicone turns hard with heat, so it could be chipped into small enough pieces to be flushed out with a hose.

Jeff"

"Mark forgot the word NOT. Us

"Mark forgot the word NOT. Use 3M101 for this task going forward.

Typically for thru hull dissassembly, the seacock stays put and you work on the U/W stuff first."

"Yes, I mentally inserted the

"Yes, I mentally inserted the word "NOT" as I was reading that

So, if I approach this from below, does the clamshell scoop slide onto the thru-hull fitting?
I'm trying to figure out what is holding the back part. I was expecting a 3rd screw but there's nothing there.

The intake slits are too close together to "pull" anything out even if I did heat it up.

Bob"

"There are two types of scoops

"There are two types of scoops. One is independant of the sea cock and is wood screwed around its perimeter into the hull. THis type should not need any sealant.
The other type is actually threaded into the seacock, thereby replacing the thruhull piece. If the PO used 5200 on these threads, it will be a bad day at the yard for you. It sounds like silicon rubber was used, which is quite weak."

"hmmm, maybe I should try turn

"hmmm, maybe I should try turning it then (unscrewing it) and see if it moves. I have a feeling that these are original, probably not touched in 20 years.

If I can diassemble the seacock enough from the inside to clean it out, I'll be happy. That's all I really need to do - get to the pick up from either side."

"Dave - thanks for catching th

"Dave - thanks for catching that critical omitted word!

Bob-You should be able to tell if the scoop is integrated with the thru hull by probing thru the slots. The integrated scoops have a plate that connects the clamshell to the threaded portion that usually runs the width of the scoop. By moving you pick, from fore to aft, with the tip against the hull, you should be able to detect that step this plate would create. If no step, then the clamshell should come of pretty easily.

Sometimes, a scotchbrite wheel run around the perimeter of the clamshell makes for finding all the screw heads an easier task."

Back