Logo

Motor slipping in gear

Regular Contributor
"82 25hp slow speed fine,more

"82 25hp slow speed fine,more throttle slips,let off and grabs,clutch dog or prop,thanx"

Sounds like prop.....I check t

Sounds like prop.....I check them in the bench vise. They will slip fairly easy by hand.

That is not a reliable test. P

That is not a reliable test. Put adjacent marks on the inner and outer hub then try it again. If you ha a spun hub the marks will no longer be lined up.

"well if im running say 1500-1

"well if im running say 1500-1800 rpm it slips like its going in and out of gear,no thud,if i give it more throttle it will just slip till i let off,then it will grab,but if i just run say 1000 rpm i can put around all day,i have a new prop,il try next wknd,"

Check your trim setting too.

Check your trim setting too. I have the same motor ('81 25hp) and experienced some slippage because it wasn't trimmed right.

"The "correct one" for

"The "correct one" for your boat, motor, typical load, and typical conditions. Factory manual will tell you how to figure all of that."

start with the 2nd hole from t

start with the 2nd hole from the bottom....idealy you want to trim a motor til it starts to porpoise and then back off..the ideal position is hard to get without power trim....the other extreme is the boat digging in with the bow...this will cause a bunch of problems...cavitation being the most damaging..be alert for the rpm jumping drastictly ....

[i]what hole should rod be in

what hole should rod be in for trim

FYI. The '81 25hp manual says 2nd hole away from the transom is typical for most setups.

"The cavitation plate should b

"The cavitation plate should be parrell with the hull, if its trimmed in the nose will be down or trimmed out to far the nose will lift too high"

Back