Logo

Fuel squirting from engine 150 EFI

kregan

"Hello,

First post here.

"Hello,

First post here.

I have a 1997 outboard that developed a problem today. It is a Mercury 150 EFI 2 stroke.

I did not get out with the boat this year so I thought is would be a good idea to drain the fuel from the tank and replace it with fresh gas.

After letting the fuel gravity drain from the tank I reconnected the fuel line and pumped it up with the fuel bulb. I noticed fuel squirting out from a fitting (see below).

I started the engine and fuel continued to spew from this fitting so I shut it down and came here for help.

Can anyone help me identify what could be going on?

Thank you for the help.
334331.jpg
Fitting with hole"">

334332.jpg
other picture

"Ive been thinkin on this for

"Ive been thinkin on this for a day or so, looks like the fitting is not completely seated. Bet this is not a new problem but one that has just not been noticed till now. I would suggest that you remove both hoses and compare how deep the fittings are seated. If the leaking one is not down as far as the other and the fittings are pressed in, try tapping the leaking one down using a small hammer and a piece of soft metal. Dont use wood as the splinters may plug the fitting. If they are threaded see if you can tighten it down more.
Somebody should check, if they have a like motor and see just what else might be causing this problem."

"Thanks for the replies.

I

"Thanks for the replies.

I studied the shop manual some more and found that this hose is a "vent line" from the "vapor separator" tank to the "induction manifold".

Inside that VS tank is a fuel float like a carburetor would have, a fuel pump, and on the end of the fuel pump a final fuel filter.

My first thought was a stuck fuel float allowing fuel to fill the tank beyond capacity and flow out of this vent line.

I decided to disassemble the tank on Saturday. What I found was mess of stale fuel, a stuck fuel float, and a gummed up looking final fuel filter.

What has me baffled is why the vent tube runs from the "vapor separator tank" to the "induction manifold" if it is just a simple fitting with a vent hole in it?

Is the induction manifold just a convenient location to mount the vent fitting or is it a check valve arrangement of some sorts that uses vacuum from the induction manifold to pull vapor from the VS tank?

This is my first time working on a large 2 stroke like this so I am just guessing here.

I cannot find any mention of this "vent" in the induction manifold section of my manual.

334409.jpg
Inside VS tank"">

334410.jpg
Final Filter

oh wait

that is the vent i

oh wait

that is the vent i think

i need to read the manual

that is ugly!!!!!

run stabil

"That is the vent and the need

"That is the vent and the needle and seat isnt seating due to the crud inside the vst, need a good clean and a few parts"

Back