Logo

Can a GM 57 car engine be used in a boat with an OMC 57

grew215

"I bought this boat with a OMC

"I bought this boat with a OMC 5.7 that was frozen, I have a Pontiac station wagon 5.7 with a 4 bolt main, can I use this with all the parts from the blown engine.

Regards Paul"

"Ayuh,... Only if your Pontia

"Ayuh,... Only if your Pontiac wagon has a Chevy motor,+ the Vintages are similar..."

So I guess the long and short

So I guess the long and short is stay away from a car engine and put a marine engine back in.

Regards Paul

The short story is replace wit

The short story is replace with "like kind". That way you can reuse all the bolt ons. If you swap block types you spend a fortune on parts and fabrication.

main thing is rear main seal t

main thing is rear main seal type - pre 1987 used 2 pc and for many OMC applications this is needed to match the drive coupler bolt pattern.
After 1987 used 1 pc rear main which has a different crankshaft bolt pattern

New chevy 290HP 350 crate motors use the 2 pc pre-1987 design which is great for marine repowers.

I have swapped out a few marine engines with automotive long blocks (new and used).

Swap in brass core plugs
swap in a marine cam and new lifters

I have a 350 runner I just pulled out of my Chevelle here Paul (2 pc. rear main seal).
I'm over Peterborough way.
email if you are interested. I could put a marine cam and brass plugs in it- or you could.
I just built a 400 for my car.
The 350 ran fine- needs valve seals (like every 350)- was blowing blue smoke at start up.

350 truck motor same series wo

350 truck motor same series would do nicely thats the trick " truck " motor.

Same series would allow the mani's and coupler and everything else from the old motor to match up.

Other wise it's like HY say's you will be working forever trying to fabricate.

Only diff. is main caps....

Only diff. is main caps....

use mer.carb . i have turned 6500rpm with two bolt main cap blocks..
arcrat

Back