Logo

Pulling engine out

87concord

Regular Contributor
"anybody have a rough idea of

"anybody have a rough idea of how long it takes to take an 87 model 5.7L out of a 20 ft runabout?? i know that some of the time would depend on accesability to the engine bay, im just looking for a worst/best case time frame"

"I have a 23' w/a - my bro

"I have a 23' w/a - my brother and I pulled the motor, replaced y-pipe o-ring, and reinstalled the motor one saturday. I believe we were on the water testing by 2pm."

"Ayuh,... It depends on your

"Ayuh,... It depends on your talents,+ available resourses...
I've had mine out, replaced the coupler,+ back in, in less than 2hrs..."

Woa thats good time with pulli

Woa thats good time with pulling the drive and reinstalling and checking the splines with a alignment bar.

You guys are good.

"Yea, too good ha ha,shi?? it

"Yea, too good ha ha,shi?? it takes me that long just to contiplate doing it. What is the race for?? Boats are like love, you either got it or you don't. Time is irrelivent..."

"Been there, done that! 1987

"Been there, done that! 1987 Merc 260, 21' runabout. Spent the good part of a day dis-connecting everything and doing a teardown of the accessories. I'm a shade tree guy and work kinda slow. BT doc would fire me in a minute!
The next day took only about an hour to hook up the chain-fall, disconnect the 2 back bolts and Saw-Zall the frozen engine mounts.
Chris
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq322/HeyNow1961/Picture043.jpg"
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq322/HeyNow1961/done11.jpg""

"No Kghost, sorry I have never

"No Kghost, sorry I have never worked as a marine mechanic. You guys hold my upmost respect, I have learned so much from the or you from this forum. I respect and admire your dedication to this forum, you guys are great!!!"

"As this is Thursday my Friday

"As this is Thursday my Friday I have took on a little too much Fire Water, But the intent is the same. You all and I mean all are very good technicians and I appreciate your help and will continue to support this forum. Thanks Guys."

"Paul

If one was to read be

"Paul

If one was to read between the lines one would read that when one works as a marine tech,
1. we have all tools nesseccary to do the job.
2. time is money and the job may be worth X amount and if you get it done in a very short period of time you end up making a few extra dollars for the effort.

Also some boats due to size and design will take a whole lot longer. Some v8 deep I/O designs take a full 8 hours of effort if not more just beacuse of how difficult it may be.

Time to do certain work depends on boat size and other issues."

"Kghost, I didn't intend t

"Kghost, I didn't intend to make lite of the work you guys have to do or what resourses that it takes to do it professionally. I was just thinking of my situation where I have alot of room. Sorry I appoligize for my comment. And yes time is money, as it should be when you repair boats. Please understand I value your experience and the time you spend on this forum. I will buy you a drink one day if I get up that way. Sorry
Paul.."

"No need to appalogise, I was

"No need to appalogise, I was not offended in the least, just giving a bit more explanation.........."

I give the marine technicians

I give the marine technicians the up most respect with all you guys have to deal with on an in and out basis. I work at a Chrysler dealership and I work with flat-rate techs all day . I know what they have to go through just cause of the salt-belt we live in due to horrible winters!!Everything they work on is rust!!! The marine techs have to be a contortionist just to get to the darn oil drain plugs if you can at all!! Most of the time it is easier to pull the whole darn engine just to do the simplest maintenance. I give you guys a lot of credit and thank you for your expertise on helping me(a marine novice) with my problems!! and I know your time is your money so I REALLY appreciate all you guys do!!! THANKS

Back