Logo

ELBOWS amp RISERS

uniflite

"I HAVE 502 CRUSADERS.I AM CHA

"I HAVE 502 CRUSADERS.I AM CHANGING MY ELBOWS & RISERS.WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS.IS DRAINING MY MANIFOLDS GOOD ENOUGH,OR SHOULD I DO MORE? THANKS BOB."

"No, you just need to insure y

"No, you just need to insure you don't allow any fluid down into the port and draining them will certainly do that.

Also, shove a rag down in the open port just in case you drop some debris or hardware. Just remember to remove it prior to installing the new elbow."

"Thank You very much Rick.I ju

"Thank You very much Rick.I just wanted to make sure,and I new I would get the correct answer from this site.All on this site are very helpful Thanks again Bob."

What Uniflite do you have? I&

What Uniflite do you have? I'm in the process of putting a new fuel tank in a '74 36 for a customer.

I had to get that 3208 out of the way first.

I HAVE A 1976-36'AFT CABIN

I HAVE A 1976-36'AFT CABIN.ME AND MY DAD CHANGED A FUEL TANK ABOUT SIX YEARS AGO.IT WAS THE STBD SIDE.WE HAD TO CUT THE FLOOR OUT.

"by the way I am removing both

"by the way I am removing both risers in my crusader 454 350hp, have problems with removing the gaskets, any good gasket remover that you know?

Thanks for your precious help. Henry G"

"Robert, I didn't cut the

"Robert, I didn't cut the floor but did cut the tank. The tank was 10' long. It's going back in as two separate tanks.

Henry, 3M Scotchlock disks work best.

334281.jpg
334282.jpg
"

"I DON'T BELIEVE OUR TANK

"I DON'T BELIEVE OUR TANK WAS 10FT.I THINK IT WAS 6 OR 7FT. BOY,THATS SOME JOB YOUR DOING.DID YOU HAVE TO DRAIN THE TANK? AND HOW MANY GALLONS IS THAT? MINE IS 110 GALLONS."

"I pumped the fuel into the st

"I pumped the fuel into the starboard tank. I don't know the capacity but it has to be 200 or so.

Here's how I got the motor out. This and an extension I stick on the forks to reach inside the cabin.

334287.jpg
"

""Scotch Brite" is the

""Scotch Brite" is the product line name for those disks. they come is a couple different flavors for attachment to the backup hub and three or four "grits" last time I got a box. the Medium grit works well for most gaskets. They are color coded and a deep purple, i believe."

"Thanks Mark, already bought t

"Thanks Mark, already bought the 3-M kit, works super.

Have a question for you. Just removed both risers today and had to use Al's BFH, breaking one riser bad. Would it be better to also remove both manifolds to make sure I did not move the exhaust gaskets ? Thanks for your help it is my first major job on 454's engine. Also if manifolds removed can I use my impact wrench on the bolts?

Henry G."

"Thanks Mark, already bought t

"Thanks Mark, already bought the 3-M kit, works super.

Have a question for you. Just removed both risers today and had to use Al's BFH, breaking one riser bad. Would it be better to also remove both manifolds to make sure I did not move the exhaust gaskets ? Thanks for your help it is my first major job on 454's engine. Also if manifolds removed can I use my impact wrench on the bolts?

Henry G."

"3M Roloc discs was the name I

"3M Roloc discs was the name I was looking for. 3M Scotchloc is what they call their electrical connectors.

Regarding the manifolds. If you aren't changing them there is no need to remove them. You won't disturb them removing the elbows. I would no use an impact gun unless you are positive they will come out, you don't want to break them off and there is less chance of that working with hand tools."

Agree with Rick on the impact.

Agree with Rick on the impact. A lot of bilges I've been in you have a time getting them into position so that's another drawback. Also concur with no need to remove the manifold just to check the gasket.

I thought ROLOC was the 3M name for the connecting system used for much more than the scotchbrite disks...

"I am lucky, I have enough roo

"I am lucky, I have enough room to work around both engines. Well I will follow your advice.
Learning a lot from you folks."

it went not too bad with the B

it went not too bad with the BFH......about 1 hr on one side and 1.5 hr on other side. Forgot to mention that I used KROIL penetrating fluid as I read about in other threads. Works better than any other stuff I try before.

"Henry, we tried everything kn

"Henry, we tried everything known to man. The scent of competing penetrating oils had become suplanted into the bilge odors and unified. We had even last resorted to one of those " as seen on TV" sockets that even removes stripped bolts ! HA! A total waste... but in desparation any port in a storm as they say

Once I had the heads on my table in the garage I was able to remove most of the manifold bolts with a little heat and a few other tools that were just impossible to use in the ER. When I gave the heads to the machine shop, he removed the rest of the broken bolts , 1 or 2, and that was it."

"ready to install new risers,

"ready to install new risers, do I need sealant or just dry gaskets? Have a spacer between manifolds and risers. need your help again...
Henry G"

Do NOT use silicone! It will

Do NOT use silicone! It will end up plugging the watr exit holes downstream. Sealant should not be needed in any case.

Jeff

You can put them up dry if you

You can put them up dry if you want to. I prefer "perfect seal" which is most likely the same stuff as permatex #3. Just apply it thinly as stated in the directions.

Back