Logo

Johnson 40hp wont start

92basstracker

"first off im working with a 9

"first off im working with a 92 basstracker with a Johnson TJ40ELENJ 40hp outboard oil injected. Last saturday i started the boat just like usual drove over to the dock loaded up my buddy and headed out, once i got on a plane and crused for a min the motor sputtered and shut off like it was still cold. when i hit the key to start it back up the motor just made a sound like it was locked up, or was trying to turn over but was being stopped. once i got back to dry land i popped the top to take a look. i can spin the fly wheel by hand and i feel compression. when the motor died it just kind of sputtered out i didnt hear anything like a crankshaft breaking of somthing breaking. i have oil in my resouvor and gas and my batteries are charged. i dont know much about boat motora im just trying to find a place to start checking stuff."

Does it have a fuel water sepa

Does it have a fuel water separator? If so change the filter if not it may be in your best interest to put one on.

"when was the last time,..u ha

"when was the last time,..u had ur oil sys verified???...pull the plugs and rotate flywheel.....cking how that fells,..comp test would be next."

As JWB states do a compression

As JWB states do a compression test to ceck engine and while your doing that check the spark.
If all ok mix up some 50:1 and run the engine if it sounds ok cntinue running 50:1 and mark the side of the oil tank and give it a good run and check if its using oil.

"Started fine, motored over to

"Started fine, motored over to the dock, loaded up and took off OK. Once on plane the motor died and restart acted as if seized up. Got to land and flywheel turned over fine.

My guess is the water pump is bad, engine seized when it got hot and freed up once it cooled. Just a guess!"

If the engine got hot there wi

If the engine got hot there will be obvious signs of over heating ie melted wires discoloured paint. It does sound like it seized but probely no oil?

I took it to a mech he told me

I took it to a mech he told me that the oil injector went out and busted the ring on the bottom cylinder and seized the piston in the cylinder

Told me $3500 to rebuild

"Sorry, but that sounds BS!
I

"Sorry, but that sounds BS!
It is no oil-injector.
It is a VRO pump that pumps both fuel AND oil, then mixes it before it goes to the carbs. No way only one cyl may be affected due to 'oil-injector'.
If the upper cyl got oil, then the lower got as well.
I might be more inclined to believe that the lower may have suffered from a lean condition, either due to a clogged carb or defective lower crankshaft seal."

Back