Logo

Loosing power on b84 235 HP

gtpsmits

"Hi Guys,

I bought a 1984 E

"Hi Guys,

I bought a 1984 Evinrude 235Hp outboard engine. I did a VRO conversion and just use 50/1 premix.

When I took it out last Sunday for the first time it ran well until the fuel got low (not finished though, probably about 1-2 gallons left). Once I pumped another 10 Gallons of fuel in the tank all was well, until...

After about two hours on the water I lost power once I opened up the throttle. Initially at intervals, there-after I could only keep it at 1100 rpm, anything higher and it sounded like there was no fuel coming in the engine, ie lost power. Note it wasnt the shocking loss of power you have when there is no fuel left.

My initial thinking was to replace the fuel pump, but before I go that route is there anybody out there who has an idea on what it might be or what I can check before going to replace the pump?

Ps
The engine just came from a service so new sparkplugs and a tune-up. This was done by a dealer, not by myself.

Also as I have a 20 gallon tank the mixing of the oil/fuel was done in the tank; Ie I put in 0.5 liter oil and 25 liter of fuel and then another .05 liter oil ad 25 liter of fuel.

Thanks guys!

Pieter"

"do u have a fuel/wtr seperato

"do u have a fuel/wtr seperator on that boat?ck ur fuel for wtr,in a pickle jar or such.."

It seems like you have a fuel

It seems like you have a fuel restriction systimatically work your way through it. If everything appears ok clean the carbs

I had nothing but trouble with

I had nothing but trouble with the mid-80's 235HP Evinrudes and Johnsons. I'd check the compression. If it's low or head gasket is blown - get a Yamaha.

if by chance the fuel got thin

if by chance the fuel got thin being that low it is possible that not enough fuel was delivered to the top 2 cylinders it leaned out and may have caused damage do the compression test and see what you get

"It seems I have some work to

"It seems I have some work to do this Saturday!

What would be a good way to test the engine besides putting the boat in the water? I have a water-clamp but am afraid that revving the engine would overheat it.

Kind regards,

Pieter"

Back