Logo

MD11C oil pressure

"Thanks for the reply. My eng

"Thanks for the reply. My engine has good compression and no smoke or bad noises after 550 hours on a overhaul.
I understand that the pressure relief valve in the oil pump could be the cause of low oil pressure, and that the pump can be removed from behind the flywheel without removing the flywheel - with difficulty.
Do you know if this is the likely cause, and in fact can be removed without the flywheel coming off?"

"First I'd ask how you det

"First I'd ask how you determined that you have low oil pressure? Did you rig a mechanical gauge at the pressure transducer? The pressure relief valve in the pump is there to prevent damage from high oil pressure which you could get on a cold start in very cold weather. You would want the oil to flow even if it's -30 outside.
In my limited experience I've never had or heard of a pressure relief valve failing. It's a simple spring loaded check valve.
As to removing the pump it without removing the flywheel, I can't say as I haven't tried it."

"I have a mechanical gauge tha

"I have a mechanical gauge that connects into the crankcase where the sender is typically installed - there is no sender in my boat. The mechanics I've talked to suggest that the valve can be stuck open, or a weak spring could allow the valve to open resulting in low pressure.
I've contacted a person who said they would remove the pump to prime it - and they could remove,prime, and reinstall in 20 minutes.
I understand that the dipstick o-ring can also allow low pressure to occur - I plan to replace it."

Good luck. You'd have to

Good luck. You'd have to help me with the dip stick O ring though. You wouldn't drop oil pressure if you pulled the dip stick out.
Terry

Back