Logo

1970 95 HP Johnson Seahorse

red_harring

"Gentelmen
I am trying to hel

"Gentelmen
I am trying to help a young friend with a operating problem with this motor. At first I thought it was a simple fuel pump issue and we rebuilt the pump and cleaned the carb, however the issue still exists and it is this. You cap prime the crab with the choke and it will start fine. But as soon as you try to accelerate it dies. If you pull out the choke it will continue to run but not well. I checked the compression and it was 30 lbs with one crank of the starter cord and 60 lbs with 4 cranks. When the starter cord is pulled and you place your hand over the carb intake there is little suction. I visually checked the gaskets and they look to be in tact.The only thing I can think of is that the rings and pistons are bad or the crank seals are leaking. Do any of you have any input for me
Thanks"

"Hugh,
65 lbs doesn't sou

"Hugh,
65 lbs doesn't sound too bad for a '70' 9.5 as long as both cyls are the same, that would be a plus. I would then take an ignition system output test. It's not uncommon for a weak ignition system to produce the symptoms you describe. I wouldn't rule out a fuel problem, or any other problem yet, until the ign sys checks out OK. Don't let the fact that choking helps fool you, it's easily explained if you understand the dynamics that load an ignition system. That's not to say that there isn't some unrelated problem, but I would check that first."

"ck ur spark for sure ,should

"ck ur spark for sure ,should jump ,1/4 inch gap blue spk...dont tear it apart just yet!.... 65 pounds,is ok.......clean,..thoroughly,..the carb,..using a new kit,..and THAT kit,..is only avail fr brp...no aftermarket that i am aware of.those eng's r very prone to exhaust lks,also."

"Hugh, are you running it in a

"Hugh, are you running it in a barrel? You can't run the 9.5 in a barrel with the motor cover on it. It sucks exhaust fumes into the carb."

Maybe replace all your rubber

Maybe replace all your rubber tubes/hoses. The one under the carb is hard to see. Mice like to nest in these motors and chew on the lower hoses and little discharge tube. Make sure float level is correct and closely check to see that the tank supply line and o-rings are in good shape.

Back