Logo

Marine Starter Parts

bob_on_this

Regular Contributor
I can't believe how hard p

I can't believe how hard parts are to find for marine starters and alternators. I just need brushes and new seals.

Anyone have a source for these?

Don't really want to buy new starters.

Thanks
Bob

"Bob,
I took mine to a local

"Bob,
I took mine to a local shop. They treated me fairly. I would think there must be a shop in your area."

"Bob..

Are these the type o

"Bob..

Are these the type of brushes you are looking for?? From a Crusader website... Still I would send the parts out and have them done...just to to make sure..

334157.jpg
brushes

"took mine to a local shop. Re

"took mine to a local shop. Repainted, new brushers, new selenoid....85 bucks and had it back in 3 hours!"

"Mark,
There is a rubber seal

"Mark,
There is a rubber seal on the solenoid plunger.
Isolates it from the nose.

I did find a guy on ebay with the brushes and I sent an email to see if he has the seal.
Don, your right, those are the brushes.

Here in the Desert, it's hard to find anything "marine" .... go figure.....
None of the reman shops give me a "warm fuzzy"

I have found a lot of "non-marine" stuff the PO had done to this boat.
Best to just DIY around here.

Thanks
Bob"

Andrew has all those sierra pa

Andrew has all those sierra parts; the brushes are a bit cheaper.

I've never seen a seal there...maybe a dust boot. is it a friction seal or a flex seal (a boot type)? I don't think there is enough gap to warrant a flamem retardant there.

"Mark,
One starter (Port&

"Mark,
One starter (Port) has a rubber boot type seal and the other starter did not.
The seal is mounted between the plunger and the shift mechanism on the inter part and a flange around the outside the same shape as the solenoid. The rubber is a bellows shape between the two.

I guess it could simply be a dust shield, but either way, I would like to find a couple."

"Mark,
What makes a marine st

"Mark,
What makes a marine starter a "marine" starter?
Two places that will spark are:
Brushes against the commutator
and
Contacts within the solenoid.

The solenoid has a gasket.
The starter has a plate between the main body and the nose. But this does not seem to seal much.

I guess there could be another, but I have never seen a brass pinion gear other than large natural gas engines in a class one / Div. two area."

"not a lot - mostly in the det

"not a lot - mostly in the details. besides what you have noted, the terminals are usually copper/brass vs steel. The solenoid mounting tab/slot is usually sealed, at the main body, opposite end of the terminals. Other versions have sealing provisions but I don't see them much."

Back