Logo

Winterize 90hp Merc

wanderinglodge

I'v recently bought a runn

I'v recently bought a runnabout with a 1980 90hp Merc engine. We live in Iowa & I need to winterize the motor. I'm a real newby to boats & I don't know what I need to do. Appreciate all the help I can get.

"Its not hard to do
Leave eng

"Its not hard to do
Leave engine in down position over winter

you need to buy some fuel stabiliser to go in the fuel and engine fogger which is sprayed into the carbies while the engine is running, remove spark plugs and spray fogger into combustion chambers and screw plugs back in.

Remove the drain screws in the carby bowls to drain fuel which would evaperate and turn green
over winter, give the engine a good spray with wd40 or similar"

"Thanks a lot for the replies

"Thanks a lot for the replies from you guys. Since we are still having nice weather I can get out there this week & try to get this done. I bought a 1980 fiberglass runabout, the motor & trailer from my neighbor who moved to Texas. I talked him down to $500 for the whole thing! The interior of the boat needed work. I made all new cushions & side cushions, put down new carpet, installed new seats, scrubbed the oxidation off & painted new stripes on the side. Also redid the trailer. My neighbor didn't take care of it & was always fiddling with the engine. I have had to take the engine in 2 times this summer for work. The mechanic said he really fouled a lot of things up but it's running great now. He thought I did a great job & the boat looks new. All total I've spent about $1,500. He might even send redecorating work to me. Wish I could send a picture but I'm not that computer literate yet. Again thanks for the info!!!
thumbs_up.gif
"

Back