Logo

Pull cord

jerry101

Contributing Member
"i have a 1975 7.5 mercury out

"i have a 1975 7.5 mercury outboard serial#6384520 that the handle on the pull cord broke and the rope slipped into the sheave and lost the tension on the recoil spring..does anybody know how to fix this or do i have to take it to the dealer,any help would be greatly appreciated.........."

"Hi Gerald,if you can take the

"Hi Gerald,if you can take the pull start housing off the motor,you maybe able to catch the end of the rope,tension up the spring by revolving the disc with the rope in the cutout[should have one],then when youve got a bit of tension[about 3 revolutions should do it]poke the rope[tip,burn the end of the rope with cig lighter,then stub out]back thru the hole if u can.its usually only the last 4 inches that needs cutting off.if the rope needs replacing,pull the old rope right out till the end,then hold the disc with your other hand,and u shoul be able to grab the knot,pull it out bringing the whole of the old rope with it.then put the new rope in[burn the ends]until it pops out where the knot was,tie a new knot,then let the spring tension retract the new rope in.dont lose the end.try that"

i've tryed that but i thin

i've tryed that but i think the spring jumped off the spring post when the cord slipped back into the sheave..........

"You're screwed, my friend

"You're screwed, my friend.

When (if) you take it apart, do yourself a HUGE favor and make a diagram of which way the spring wrapped. That way, as you attempt to stuff a new one in, it'll go the right way.

It's a job none of us look forward to, I can assure you!

Jeff

PS: This is one job you might like to hand off to a dealer and bite the bullet."

Jeffs right take it to a deale

Jeffs right take it to a dealer.. but they are a piece of cake to do if you get shown how to do it the right way

Back