Logo

Kohler gen problem

lugnutdan

Contributing Member
"I have a1996 kohler genthe ot

"I have a1996 kohler genthe other day went to start would not ture over ,went to gen tried to turn over at the gen,heard the fuel pump cycling
tapped on fuel pump with back of screw driver it tuned over,I stopped,it did it again,and a 3rd time,I guessing bad fuel pump,does anyone know of anything eles it could be???thanks"

"Hi Danny.....

All I can su

"Hi Danny.....

All I can suggest, for starters, is to check your battery connections...sounds like you have enough power for the fuel pump and not enough for the starter, however, I must admit I am a Westerbeke guy and don't know much about Kohler...sorry, that is all I have to offer...

Hopefully some of these Crusader boats carry a Kohler and can help you out.
wink.gif
"

"Danny, your fuel pump has not

"Danny, your fuel pump has nothing to do with the engine cranking. Your fuel pump should cycle every time the starter button is engaged. You normally don't hear it because the starter cranking the motor drowns out the sound of the pump.

It sounds like a faulty connection or possibly a relay. Go over all the connections making sure they're all clean and tight. Also look at the ground strap that connects the mounting pan with the unit. The system grounds through the tray and the fuel pump is also grounded to the tray. The starter is grounded to the engine. If the ground strap between the tray and engine is faulty everything grounded to the tray will work but things grounded to the engine will not. It sounds like your tapping may have effected the ground connection.

Good luck
Rick"

"thanks guys ill go thru it th

"thanks guys ill go thru it this week.but im still wondering why when i tapped the fuel pump it started,but ill definately check it out"

My comment is along with Don&#

My comment is along with Don's. I would check the voltage at the starting selonoid. You should have 12+ volts. Mine would not even click earlier this week. When I checked the voltage was about 6. I put a charger on the battery at a rate of 8 amps for two hours and it started fine. The thing I will have to determine is why the battery ran down. It is four years old so it is possibly at its end.

Chuck

Back