Logo

75hp Merc 2002 ELPTO hard starting when cold

fred23987

"Sorry for the 2nd post but th

"Sorry for the 2nd post but this is a burning question. I have a 2002 75hp ELPTO 2-stroke merc, 3-cylinder. It uses the plugs without electodes. Since it was new it is hard to start when cold (50 degrees airtemp or less). Since I fish most of the year this is a pain. I have to sit at the ramp choking it with the w/u lever up for about 10mins before putting the lever back down. It usually dies when I put the w/u lever down. I have taken it back to the dealer who charged me about $100 and adjusted something....all else was in spec. I have changed the plugs, but heard that for this year merc had trouble with the composition of the diaphrams in the fuel pump and that I should replace them with the previous year's diaphrams.
After all of the choking and w/u lever being up, I can feel the engine not hitting on all 3 cyls. After I run it for a couple of mins (running down the river fast), the other cyl kicks back in. Any ideas on this? It is a great motor otherwise (but typical noisy merc).
It does seem to be getting a little better as it gets older (in 2002 and new it was really bad).
thanks in advance. Fred....."

Back