Logo

Dual Batteries

C

Christopher80

Well I am installing a "bi

Well I am installing a "big" stereo system into my little 17.5 aq120b. Can I run a Flooded battery for starting & a Gel or AGM battery for the accessories? What type of switch & isolator options do I have?

"I use a "normal" batt

"I use a "normal" battery on the port engine, and deep discharge batteries on the other side (which also powers all accessories). Though no 'battery isolator' is used, and I have a relay to connect all batteries and alternators, all of the batteries charge just fine.

Hope that helps.

Jeff"

"I would like to have some sor

"I would like to have some sort of isolator to protect the starting battery from draining at all, and I can drain the piss out of the deep batt. Strong cranking batteries can't withstand too many discharges before they won't take a charge at all (so I hear). How many 'accesories' do you run Jeff?"

".."How many 'accesori

".."How many 'accesories' do you run Jeff?"

Plenty! I have a 2KW inverter as well.

The boat has two Perko battery switches, and the two banks are separated except when the "battery paralleling switch" is thrown (a Marinette design feature). This switch energizes a relay that ties all the batteries together. Slick arrangement.

Here's the usual deal while on the hook overnight: The port setup is left alone all night, with the starboard setup used to power all the junk. Next morning, if Mr. Starboard doesn't want to start, I fire up Mr. Port and hit the battery paralleling switch. That jumps the batteries and away we go! With both motors running, both alternators then charge all batteries.

Hope that helps.

Jeff"

"Jeff thats not a boat its an

"Jeff thats not a boat its an engineering marvel ! Bloody good idea ! I think I may install that as a nice to have little feature. Ive got the same configuration on my 130,s but have two indipendant 120amp (big boy) batteries which are independant to each engine although in my case the port (Patrick) engine services the electrical gear."

"Sir
I like to keep the batte

"Sir
I like to keep the battery types on boats the same. Normally this is because you have one type of shore charger for the wet battery, and a different type for gel batteriers. If your not going to use a marine shore power charger no problem. But if in the future you might add one keep this in mind."

"Agreed. My batteries are all

"Agreed. My batteries are all wet cell type, though I have a mixture of 'normal' and deep cycle designs.

Jeff"

Back