Logo

Opinions wanted

stoke

"Talked to the owner of a ‘85

"Talked to the owner of a ‘85 26’ Nova today. http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43136
He told me that he bought a cruiser 3 yrs. ago and has not really used it since. When he did use it, it sat in a salt water slip. Port engine was remanufactured 5 yrs, starboard is original with a head job the season before he quit using it. Outdrives were replaced with a set of used units and one skeg was broken (not that bad) when he bought it. He told me he ran the engines every once it a while and had them running a few weeks ago. In his words, they sound and run strong. There Am I looking at a big red flag here? Is it worth a 4 hr. trip to have a look at it?"

What it's worth to you is

What it's worth to you is to get a a SURVEY! Hire a good surveyor and let him tell you what it's worth.

Careful! Not using a boat for that long is not good.

Jeff

"Well a survey is out. As soon

"Well a survey is out. As soon as I told them that is was an '85 26' boat, they said it wasn't really worth it."

"Jeff, what should I keep my e

"Jeff, what should I keep my eye open for. I told the broker that I want to hear it run. No run...no buy. The owner seems to be a straight shooter and said there are no real issues with the boat other than age.

Bob"

"I did find an accredited surv

"I did find an accredited surveyor that has offered to work with me on getting her surveyed…and at a good price too - $12 ft. So if all goes well, by the end of this weekend I will be the proud owner of my first twin 25’+ boat.
proud.gif
"

"hi bob,i bought a 13 ft scorp

"hi bob,i bought a 13 ft scorpian speedboat with a 50 hp yamaha outboard motor sitting on a first class trailer on ebay for a song,but it meant 700 hundred mile round trip to collect. I could the same red flag .spent 10 hours and no money on it and it runs like a sowing machine,hope you get lucky too. Jim B"

"You know, it’s strange how li

"You know, it’s strange how life works out sometimes. As you know, I have been looking at a Nova II up in RI. I went up there (4 hrs. up, 5 hrs. back) Friday to look at it and was quite disappointed. More with the owner, than the boat but made him an offer on Saturday and never heard from him.

Was looking around this afternoon and found another one.
lame.gif
Talked to the guy a little while ago and he is sending me pic tomorrow. Says the boat is in great shape, never bottom painted and his hobby is car racing. The 260s are mildly worked and says the boat does 65+. Thru hull exhaust under platform with SS lines through out and it come on a #8000 Venture roller trailer with 4 wheel surge bakes.

Going to look at it next weekend!!

Plus he is a carpenter by trade and redid all the teak last winter."

"Here was the deal with the bo

"Here was the deal with the boat in RI...

Major issue was the need for a starboard lower unit…it had a crack in the case that went 1/3rd back from the exhaust. They both looked like they had seen better days if you catch my drift. The engines both fired up but the idiot ran the dry and the starboard engine was giving him a hard time and he ran it to the point that the exhaust bellows started to smoke. There was a lot of rust on both engines and the hydraulics. Trims and tabs worked kind of…contacts needed cleaning after sitting for three years. As a matter of fact…all the electronics needed new contacts and switches. The engine compartment was very clean and if it wasn’t for the rust stains I would say almost spotless. The engines were Chevy truck.

The hull was in great shape but the bow deck gell coat under the black paint was crazed. The bottom was painted in antifouling paint but it was starting to flake off from age. I flicked a few chips off and there was prefect gell underneath. I bet if you took your time with a razor blade, you could get it off and be left with a perfect bottom. The cuddy hatch leaked and the cabin felt damp in some places…but no mildew anywhere. Crawled up front and look at the bow winch eye support and it was to the point where I would have made a new one out of angle and replaced it. The cushions were ok…just in need of a washing. The captain chairs were fine, no holes or rips and the hinges for the drop bottoms were good and locked into place. The stern couch stitching was ripping apart on the starboard side…really need to be redone. The engine hatch cushion was in good shape but a few of the Velcro strips on the hatch needed replacing.

The trailer was a tandem Load-Rite I think…#8000. It needed new tires (8.75x16.5…$110 a pop new) and I would assume the brakes (4 drum) would need to be completely redone. Didn’t even bother to check the lights.

That about sums it up.
angry.gif
"

"The broker called this mornin

"The broker called this morning and said the owner would not let it go for anything less than 5.5K...I told the broke I found another one.
lol.gif

Can't wait to see the pics of the Nova in NY. I forgot to mention Jeff, the guy said the 65+ speed was recorded in 5-6 ft. seas and it handled smooth as butter."

Going up to get the Nova this

Going up to get the Nova this Sat. Then the fun begins...Hope I make it back in one piece.

Back