Logo

My mechanic says help

nanufree

"I have a 15 hp Johnson outboa

"I have a 15 hp Johnson outboard motor. 1994 I think with model and serial number J15ECEC R08189838 mounted on a 14 ft Livingston. I purchaced the motor 8 months ago. With 2 persons on board it purrs like a kitten at any rpm and up to 15 mph. With 3 persons it misses amd the speed drops to 10 mph and with 4 persons it misses and the speed drops to 7 mph.
Three days ago with three on board after an hour drive and three hours fishing it would only achieve low rpms. I changed the plugs and it worked fine ( good rpm with some missing) for 30 minutes and then it went back on to slow rpm ( about half way ). I cleaned out the plugs and tried it again with 2 persons aboard. The motor ran great for 30 minutes, but after we stopped it would only achieve half the rpms. I replace the plugs with dry ones and the motor preformed fine for anouther 30 minutes or so. Again only low rpm after a stop to fish. This has been repeated another time. The carb was rebuilt one month past, in an attempt to fix the missing problem without success. I have tried spark plug types QL16V,QL77JC4,L-77J4. Both the plugs appear the same after each time. The motor never lost high rpm, it just would not regain it after stopping or slowing down. My mechanic is at a lost. David
33200.jpg
sparkplug 2"">
33201.jpg
sparkplug 1

"J15ECEC
Johnson 15HP electri

"J15ECEC
Johnson 15HP electric start,counter rotating, 1998 model

hows the fuel lines, vent lines
last time u rebuild the carbs, checked timing?

looks a little oily, but the burn is OK

what type of oil? and mixing ratio?"

nope if that is the correct mo

nope if that is the correct model #

C= counter rotating
if it was ce it would be Canada derated with electric start

I'm looking at the brp book

so visitor u really do not know that much then

"Joe,

I would have to agree

"Joe,

I would have to agree with Scott, it is definitely a 1989 model, and it can't possibly be counter-rotating.

The fact that cleaning the plugs helps may be the clue to the problem, but it could also be a coincidence.

I would remove the cylinder head and take a look inside if you have not done that already. Examine the pistons for looseness, and take a carefull look at the head gasket.

Tony"

My mechanic gets the motor tom

My mechanic gets the motor tomorrow. I will pass along the info so far. Thanks and I will report on his findings. Joe

Back