Logo

05 30 liter prop

doug_k

Hi! I own a 05 Bayliner 185 wi

Hi! I own a 05 Bayliner 185 with a 3.0 mercruiser in it. Does anyone know a good prop size and pitch? I have the stock prop and is running at 5000rpm I heard that is too high>
THANKS

"The boat came with a composit

"The boat came with a composite prop 4 blade marked 18 pitch, will this do the trick?
THANKS!!"

"Hi Doug:

The RPM's you

"Hi Doug:

The RPM's your running are high. The range for yoru engine is 4400-4800 WOT. Based on my years in boating you should try a 19 Pitch prop, Stainless is best. This should slow your RPM's down to about 4800 RPM's. Normally for every inch in pitch you go up subtact 150 to 200 RPM's off your WOT.

I would get far away from the plastic prop!!!! It is fine as a spare but not much else.

I have an 180LS Stingray with the 3.0L and I run a 17 Pitch stainless prop. My boat weighs about 2500 lbs plus gas, gear and people. I run 4500 RPM's and 45MPH at WOT.

Take care,

T."

"Hello Doug:

My 17 Pitch st

"Hello Doug:

My 17 Pitch started out as a 14.5" x 17P but I had it custom cut down to a 14" x 17P. I have Vengence by Mercury.

When I used to sell Bayliner boats back in the late 90's we would install 19P-21P props on them depending on what they were going to be used for.

5000 RPM's is a little hard on that little 4 banger. 4600 RPM's at WOT would sure help keep the wear and tear down on that thing.

Take care,

T."

"Hi T. I just ordered a 14.5x1

"Hi T. I just ordered a 14.5x17 pitch ss prop on e-bay for 100.00. What should I expect for RPM and MPH. Our boats seem very similar. Will I loose speed with less RPM? Or MPG?
THANKS, Doug"

"Hello Doug:

Normally when

"Hello Doug:

Normally when you go down in Pitch you will gain more RPM's and lose top end speed and MPG. BUT you will gain a good amout of holeshot and you will plane off much faster. Now with that said the diameter size plays a part in this. For example, when I first got my 14.5" x 17P ss prop I could only turn 4300 RPM's. After I had 1/2" taken off (took it down to 14.0" x 17P I gained 200 RPM's). This put me at 4500 RPM's.

Now did I understand right that you were turning 5000 RPM's with that 18 pitch plastic prop? If so a 17P should in practice turn even faster, (depending on the diameter.) Just do not push that little engine over 4800 RPM's. Now if you were turning 5000 RPM's with the 18P prop you may have wanted to try a 19P or 21P ss Prop. That should keep your RPMS around 4800 for a 19P or 4600 for a 21P depending on the Pitch.

Do you carry a lot of weight in the boat, ie.. haul several people each time out?

Please let me know about this RPM thing ie... were you really spinning 5000 RPM's wit the 18P plastic prop? If so you need to get a larger pitch that 18P.

Take care,

T."

"Thanks T. The 18 plastic prop

"Thanks T. The 18 plastic prop was a spare prop,I never put on. I have no idea what is on it now (stock prop) that spun 5000,it has shrink wrap over the prop. I can't read it.
Thanks"

Hello Doug:

Without knowing

Hello Doug:

Without knowing what prop you have on that boat now makes it tough for me to estimate some things. I can tell you that the spec for your boat "should" have called for a 21P prop out of the factory door. Now what is on there now is anyones guess. Based on the RPM's you say it turns I would guess your running a 17P or 19P. A 1800 Bayliner with a 3.0L with a 21P Alum stock prop should turn around 4500-4700 with a very light load and just a little gas and 1 person. That boat should see speeds around 45-46MPH.

Back