Logo

Honda BF100

toucan

"Hey everyone,

I could use

"Hey everyone,

I could use some help. I have a 1984 BF100 10hp 4-stroke outboard. It has never given me any problem until now. I recently dumped the old gas and refilled the tank with new gas and I ran it at least a half an hour afterwards. It is on a sailboat and it doesn't get much use. After about two weeks, I started it and it ran fine for about 20 to 30 seconds and then it died. I had left the gas tank out in the cockpit and it had rained quite a bit so I figured I got some water in the fuel. I drained the carb and still no progress. I pulled the engine and brought it home. It would fire immediately if I shot ether into it so I assumed either water in the gas or trash. I ran fresh gas through the carb, cleaned the plugs and still no progress. I pulled the carb and cleaned the main jet and the idle jet. There was some gunk in the bowl, which I cleaned. The inlet needle looked fine and fills and shuts off fine. I reinstalled and no progress. It will run with ether but not with the fuel. I could feel some light pull from the intake manifold so I don't think it is low compression. My only guess is that something is still clogged on the carb.

Any ideas? I thought once I had spark I was home free, but I ran out of daylight and I would like some professional advice if you can enlighten me.

Thanks,

Jeff"

"pull the fuel pump and clean

"pull the fuel pump and clean that

if that does not help pull carb again and buy a rebuild kit
use compressed air to clean out the jets and emulsion tubes with carb cleaner, but do not soak the carb in it.

is there a fuel filter? could be that

take a fuel sample from your tank also

why u r at it check lower gear oil and spark plugs"

"Thanks for the help. I got i

"Thanks for the help. I got it running. I cleaned the carb twice with carb cleaner, but it was the air that actually did the job. I sprayed air through all the valves and put it back together and it started right up. I know the main jet was clear before, so I don't really understand, but I know it is working now. Murphy, however, hit me again. I rowed the motor back out to the sailboat, started it up and it wouldn't piss. I made sure the output tube was clear and started it again and still no verification of water flow, so I had to bring it back home again. I just replaced the water pump impeller last year, but I guess it is time again.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff"

to blowing compressed air in t

to blowing compressed air in the pee hole
always works like a charm
also look at the t-stat

Back