Logo

110 V4 Evinrude Overheating Righthand Bank

N

Neil Millar

When flushing motor the enging

When flushing motor the enging buzzer goes off after say 5 minutes at idle. the left hand cylinder bank from rear of motor (Lower bank ) is fine however the right hand bank is hot to touch. their is a reasonable flow form the P indicator and the water is cool. If I increase the revs even slightly the right bank cools down almost imediately and is the same temp as left bank and water pressure is even higher out of p indicator.

I am thinking it could be a stuck thermostat in the right bank as if it was the water pump both cylinder should be hot or at least the water comming out fo th indicator should be hot?? Is this right?

can i test the thermostat theory by removing and trying or could this cause damage running without the thermostat?

Weak waterpump would act simil

Weak waterpump would act similarly. When was the last time the impeller was changed?

"check t-stats, take both out

"check t-stats, take both out and check in hot water to check operation

do what SLEEPER said

u might want to flush motor with some kind of cleaning solution like salt-away

to me it sounds like clogged water passages or water impeller or t-stats

look at http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E for the parts and come back here to buy them

i can help if u give me year and model"

"Thanks, I put new thermostats

"Thanks, I put new thermostats in and new waterpump, now that I have pulled it apart and can see how it works, i beleive it was the right hand thermostat not opening as when I increased the revs it cooled down as the increased pressure opens those valves that are on the spring thereby bi-passing the thermostat) any how just waiting on a top exhaust housing gaskit before I can put it all back together and give it a run.

Thanks again fo rthe tips"

"I always install a water pres

"I always install a water pressure gauge on my engines. What's interesting is that every year you can see the idle water pressure drop, as the impeller gets older. When the pressure goes low enough, I change them out. They always look perfect when I change them, yet a new one will double the output."

Back