Logo

b82 Gamefisher 75 hp Element Pump fuel pump question

sunguy

"I have an '82 7.5hp Gamef

"I have an '82 7.5hp Gamefisher. It ran great but over the weekend, it left me stranded a mile and a half from the marina. It had a hard time starting and when it does, it only last for 3 seconds.

I dissamebled the carb the other night expecting to find a bad float (as I read on the internet). The float appears to be fine. After figuring out how this carb work, the only thing I found weird is the 'Element Pump' (which I think is the fuel pump). It had a tear/cut but it was VERY VERY symmetric .. as if it was meant to be that way. The material felt very soft and flexable still.

Q) How does the 'Element Pump' work? (I think it uses the crank case Pos & Neg vaccum to expand and contract. But if it's suppose to have the tear, my theory doens't work)

Q) The little hole on the reed plate, does that go to a vacuum/pressure source and to the exhaust? (I notice the pump on my fuel line doesn't have the same back pressure anymore and I hear air sound inside the carb. Also, fuel is leaking out the exhaust.)"

"I don't know much about y

"I don't know much about your motor, but I can say that a fuel pump diaphram is not supposed to be torn. This can lead to both fuel starvation (hard starting) and fuel leaking into the crankcase (also hard starting).

Your theory of operation is correct. Pulses from the crankcase cause the diaphram to oscillate back and forth. A check valve in the fuel pump ensures that only the positive pulse is used to push fuel."

That little element as i recal

That little element as i recall is the fuel pump ( about an inch long and 1/4" wide ) it should not be torn.

Back