Logo

Perkins 4107 strange oil problem

T

Tony Hurst

Hi there over the weekend I ha

Hi there over the weekend I had a strange thing that happened which no one can explain.

The story is I checked the oil dip stick to my Perkins 4107 and according to the dipstick it had no oil at all. I checked about 10 times and found out there was clean diesel in the sump which I found strange not a drop of oil. There was no oil in the bilge I fault to my self it could have been the rear crank seal but oil would have been in the bilge.

So I got some oil and but in about 2 litters and fault I check the dipstick again when I checked the dipstick it was full of dirty old oil.

I didn’t run the engine at all during this. I no how to check the oil and use a dipstick I do it every week before I run the boat out. I can’t work out how a sump of oil can disappear and reappear after only putting 2 litters of clean oil in. I no 2 litters of oil is not the capacity of the oil tank it takes about 4-5 gallons

The Type of boat is a Senior 26 river cruiser. I would be very grateful for any help or who has an expansion. My friends or a marine mechanic can’t work it out

** sry for bad spellin

** sry for bad spelling

(So I got some oil and put* in about 2 litters and fault I check the dipstick again when I checked the dipstick it was full of dirty old oil)

I had the same problem but whe

I had the same problem but when I changed the oil I found I had two more quarts than when I filled it. Seems like the seal on the high pressure diesel pump "dried out" due to low sulphur fuel or something and fuel oil seeped past it into the pan. I was underway in Mexico with no opportunity to fix it and scorched all the bearings with thin oil. Rebuild nderway now.

Back