Logo

Johnson 25ho to 30hp conversion

wh500special

"I have two 25hp Johnson outbo

"I have two 25hp Johnson outboards. The first is a 1995 TEEOR (tiller, short, electic start), the second a 1998 ELECE (remote, long, electric). I am curious about the feasibility of upgrading them both to 30hp.

I am hoping the small bump in hp will get me up on plane a little faster in both boats and the extra WOT RPM's might make longer runs go slightly quicker.

I have looked through the parts manuals (and at BRP's website) for the 20/25/30 series of engines for both years and it seems that the conversion requires mostly a change to the 30hp carburator and intake manifold plus a number of smaller parts and hoses.

The primary parts I see that differ b/t the 25 and 30 are:
1. Carburator ass'y.
2. Throttle control cam
3. Intake manifold
4. Bypass cover ass'y.
5. Primer system (on the remote engine).

I know this is a possible conversion, and I know that is has been done by someone "out there", but I am wondering if there are any pitfalls or special parts or techniques that may be required.

Mostly, though, I am interested to hear if there are any first hand accounts about such a change. I searched the archives and didn't find exactly the info I had hoped to find.

Finally, does a "kit" exist that would make this easier? My dealer warns me that he can get many parts, but that the EPA might not like such tricks and it would make future dealership service potentialy confusing.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Steve"

"Try changing your prop to a l

"Try changing your prop to a lesser pitch...A whole lot cheaper...By the time you get through buying carb, manifold, etc, you could have sold your motor and bought a 40hp..."

"J.J.,

You're probably

"J.J.,

You're probably right...costs can get pretty high pretty quickly.

Changing prop pitch is a good idea. I have a spare with an 11" pitch I can try.

Thanks for the feedback!
Steve"

Back