Logo

Just Getting Started

jbthehut

"I am currently looking to pur

"I am currently looking to purchase my first boat and need some straight forward info about a few questions. I'm looking for a cruiser in the 28ft range probably in the mid 70's to early 80's model. First question

- Single engine versus twin, fuel cosumption, I have seen listings that said anywhere between 4 to 6 gph for a single and up to 10 to 12gph for a twin , is that pretty much standard?

- Inbaord or Inboard outboard, is an inboard more reliable than an i/o setup?

Thanks in advance for any help and or guidance."

"Get the newer one if you can.

"Get the newer one if you can. Older boats have a lot more wood in them and you don't want that in the hull. It rots and becomes structurally unsound.

An I/O is less efficient than a direct drive or V drive. Any time the drive changes direction, energy is lost. As far as consumption, that will be determined by the hull design (efficiency) and the condition of the whole boat. If you're totally new to boating, get a complete marine survey of any boat you look at. If you're buying from a dealer, insist on one at their expense (they should have done one anyway- how else would they know the real condition of their trade-ins?). If it's from a private owner, offer to split the cost after calling around to find out who's certified and available. It could save you thousands of dollars."

"Thanks for the heads up, I&#3

"Thanks for the heads up, I'm still confused on the fuel consumption, It only makes sense that a twin engine is going to burn more fuel than a single, but is it double? I was looking at a 34ft Uniflight with twin 270hp crusaders and was told it burned 6gph at cruisng speed (12kts) now I'm not sure if they meant 6 total or 6 per engine."

"There's only one real way

"There's only one real way to find out. Anything else is just guessing. Keeping it tuned up properly and the hull clean & waxed will cut the consumption down and if you look around, there are performance upgrades that can save gas & give you more power."

"..."An I/O is less effici

"..."An I/O is less efficient than a direct drive or V drive"

Huh? The opposite is true, especially with dual prop drives.

John:

Seeing this is your first boat, I'd strongly suggest buying a "common" I/O single engined boat and learning about boating from it. Bayliners and others in the mid 20 foot range are plentiful and cheap to buy. And when you trade up, they are easier to sell.

We re-started in boating (after a 30 year absence) in a 19 footer, went to a 28, then the 32 we have now. Each step up raised the learning curve and the costs involved in running/ maintaining it.

If you are concerned about fuel costs (I get that impression), a mid-20 footer like this will not frighten you off--expect 2 to 3 mpg from a single small block I/O boat in that size range. My 32 footer gets a best of 1.25 mpg--and it's good on gas for its size.

Jeff

PS: We had the most fun with the 19 footer, and that's the truth."

"Thanks again for all the info

"Thanks again for all the info, we have started to narrow are search to 28 to 30ft and probably a single engine boat just to help cut operating costs. (I am concerened about fuel, unless your name is Gates who wouldn't be) I have been trying to shy away from and I/O boat because I have always heard that the maintenance on them was much higher than an inboard, is that a correct assumption?"

Back