Logo

Bad diesel

groundhog

"How do you know if you have b

"How do you know if you have bad diesel fuel?

I replaced the filters and the stuff in the glass separator looks really clear, an amber color.

I heard one mechanic say the word "stale".

What exactly is it that you are fighting? What atribute is it that causes the motor to run badly?

If I wanted to buy guaranteed good diesel, how and where do I get it? What do you look for?

thanks,
gh"

"Fungus can grow in a diesel f

"Fungus can grow in a diesel fuel tank. For that reason you should add a biocide fuel treatment each time you get fuel. Also keeping your fuel tank topped off, especially during times of inactivity will help reduce water contamination from condensation. Monitor your fuel filters and keep them changed."

"Isn't the fungus black? S

"Isn't the fungus black? SHouldn't I see this? Isn't the problem with the biological growth filter clogging and not performance? I cleaned all my filters and still have a problem with smoking and lack of power.

If I do the filter trick, where you pump your whole tank of fuel through a fine filter and then back into your tank, will that fix it?"

"It does not sound like a dirt

"It does not sound like a dirty fuel problem presently. The combination of smoke and lack of power draw my attention to the fuel injectors. If the injectors are clogged or damaged they will not spray an even, well distrbuted, pattern. This will cause poor combustion in the cylynders. That is provided that you do not have badly worn piston rings."

"Hi Eddie,
I was interested i

"Hi Eddie,
I was interested in the fuel issues only because I am running out of things to do. I guess I should give you guys a little more info..

-electric fuel pump changed.
-all fuel filters either changed or cleaned.
-fuel injectors rebuilt.
-injectors viewed operating outside engine to check fuel pump.
-fuel timing checked and looks ok.
-exhaust manifold taken off and looks clear of obstruction.

Currently remaining symptoms:
-small amount of light colored smoke most all of the time.
-Becomes heavier and black at half throttle and above. RPMs stop increasing at half throttle and above. (no rpm meter)
-one cylinder runs about 10 degrees C lower than the other (measured with digital thermometer at cylinder top).
-I have no experience with these engines, but a marine diesel mechanic in the marina said the motor sounds wrong for a two cylinder. Said it sounds like it is running on one (he also found the temperature difference).

The engine is a volvo MD6A.

Thanks,
gh"

The cooler cylinder apparently

The cooler cylinder apparently is the culprit. The rebuilt injector might still be bad on that cylinder. Some mechanics are dubious about rebuilt injectors with both diesels and fuel injected gasoline engines.

blown headgasket i have a trac

blown headgasket i have a tracter at work that does exact same thing. everytime it blows headgasket it does this samething black smoke and now power under load

"Tom,
does your tractor still

"Tom,
does your tractor still have good compression when the head gasket blows? The spec for my engine is 350psi and I am getting about 400 on both cylinders.
gh"

"don't know the mech. just

"don't know the mech. just pulls head and blows at water jacket,not between two cyl. it starts puhing water out throws black smoke and no power"

Back