Logo

Loud noise when engine starts

tampabay

"I have a V-8 Mercruiser engin

"I have a V-8 Mercruiser engine that when I start it, it makes this loud grinding or squeaking noise (metal to metal. When I accelerate the engine, it stops. When it is back to idle, it squeaks again. I thought it was the power steering pump because it happened before when it went dry but when i check it this time, it had fluid and it appeared fine. Any ideas or suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance"

Is the alternator belt tight?

Is the alternator belt tight?
Could the power steering pump have gone bad from lack of fluid?
Try removing each belt and see in the noise goes away.

Grinding sounds like one of the pulleys is hitting something if the noise is infact from the front of the engine.
Also check the crank balancer.(lower pulley mount) These do not fail often but you never know.

sometimes i get a loud expensi

sometimes i get a loud expensive sounding screaming noise each time i go to my boat. turned out to be my wife.

"renaming my boat "the fie

"renaming my boat "the field office" so now i can grab my brief case and confidently state: "honey, I'm headed to the office!" or "I really need to get into the office today" (sunny saturday)"

"i HAVE A REGAL WITH A GM 181

"i HAVE A REGAL WITH A GM 181 3.0L 4 CYCLINDER AND FIRST I KEEP NOTICING THE ALTERNATOR BELT KEEPS COMING OFF, ALSO I HEAR A LOUND CONTINUOIS NOSE COMING FROM THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE , ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED."

Back