Logo

My Crusader 454 ainbt all Crusader

W

winn peeples

"I have a Thermo-Electron Crus

"I have a Thermo-Electron Crusader 454 in my 24’ Blackfin. The engine was in her when I got her, was fairly new, but no documents or paper work. The Thermo-Electron plate located on the left valve cover is unreadable as to the serial number. I have no idea what year it is other than it had to be between 1993 and 1999. The installation looks to be fairly good to me. I’ve put about 400 hours on her since I got her.

Here’s the deal. Most all of the “bolt-on’s” are not Crusader parts or part numbers. The risers, manifolds, raw water pump, oil cooler, heat exchanger, coil placement, belt pulley’s, etc., look to be (and in some cases verified that they are) Mercruiser applications. It’s driving me NUTS trying to replace stuff. The biggest problem is finding hoses and belts. Anybody ever run across this before???

I have no remote oil filter set-up, which doesn’t REALLY bother me because getting to the oil filter isn’t really a problem. The trans cooler is located under the manifold on the right side of the engine – mounted down low. There is NO way I can get to it for service other than pulling the motor. I can’t even seem to find that set-up in Mercruiser parts break-down’s.

I’m getting ready to pull the engine to replace the manifolds and risers, plus a few other maintenance items. If anyone has a clue as to the situation I got here, I would appreciate the help. I love the engine and wouldn’t trade her for anything. But servicing her is a nightmare."

"Good luck. Since many parts

"Good luck. Since many parts are "interchangable" people tend to replace the original parts with whatver is available (cheapest). The original Crusader manifolds are available and are actually very reasonable. Maybe the previous owner can give you more insight, it you can get in touch with him.

Good luck
Rick"

Back