Logo

Johnson J150TXCCA Shift detent spring amp ball

gene_boyett

"Fellows, I have been reading

"Fellows, I have been reading alot of these discussion subjects trying to find a similar problem as mine but to no avail. I'm working on an 1988 Johnson 150 J150TXCCA lower unit. Due to my negelect I let this engine set up for a number of years and now find out that the shift rod was froze up in netural. Engine fired up ok after some coaching with carb cleaner. Anyway, after alot of work following the shop manual and breaking a few bolts that had to be re-tapped, I was able to get to my problem area, the shift detent. All other parts seem to be in very good shape, gears, shafts, etc. I plan to repace all the bearings and seals including water pumb. The problem still before me is removing the ball & spring from the detent housing. There must be some old harden grease holding it in it's chamber. I've tried all kinds of solovent with no luck, even tried boiling it for 4 hours. Question: Would I be able to drill a very small hole through the backside of the chamber and push it out. Would the hole cause me a problem later or would it act as an orfice for a better lubrication access. Any help would be appreciated. I also have the shop repair manual. Thank you."

I looked at an exploded view o

I looked at an exploded view of that motor on evinrudes website and it looks like that whole assembly should fit into a coffee can--fill the can with kerosene and leave it for a few days--
I have had good luck loosening rusted parts and dissolving old hardened grease this way--heat may also help--propane is usually hot enough to soften grease--be careful not to melt or distort any parts--just my two cents

"Normally when the shift deten

"Normally when the shift detent lever is removed from the bearing housing, the spring will push the ball out of the housing. Have you tried pushing down on the ball to compress the spring? Maybe you have some rust in the cavity. Heat will normally help. As far as drilling the hole I would try everything else first."

"Thanks for the ideas, Tom &am

"Thanks for the ideas, Tom & Marci. I'm trying propane now and I have already tried pushing down on the ball. I'm trying save from buying a $281. part due to a .75 cent part. But its looking more like drilling maybe my last choice. Appreciate the interest.
Gene"

"Wilbert.... If all else fails

"Wilbert.... If all else fails, I may have that component left in my remaining stock which I would discount. If interested, contact me via email by simply clicking on my name to the left."

"Amen, The propane worked. Go

"Amen, The propane worked. Got ball & spring out. Didn't hurt anything. Cleaned up good. Detent shaft slides in & out with no problem. Thanks for the suggestions. Now to order the bearings that I want to replace. Thanks again for your help and I may be back as I try to put it all back together."

Back