MarineEngine.com - Your online store for all types of marine engines and boat parts.
PHONE ORDERS
Monday - Friday
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST
Click for TOLL-FREE Number
Online Checkout
Special $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping
(800) 209-9624 | Home | Contact | Shipping | Returns | Cart View your shopping cart.
Part Number Search
Shop by engine/drive part number.
Original & matching parts for sale.
Manuals & Accessories
Shop by description, item number
or manufacturer's model number.
Boat Repair Forum Boat Repair Forum   Boat Video Gallery Video Gallery

ROD KRUSE Guest

Default " I AM TRYING TO CHECK THE TIM

" I AM TRYING TO CHECK THE TIMING ON MY 1983 JOHNSON 70HP(RUNS GOOD ON LAND BUT NO POWER ONCE I HIT THE WATER). ALTHOUGH MY TIMING LIGHT WORKS GREAT ON MY CAR, I CAN NOT GET IT TO WORK AT ALL ON MY BOAT. I CHECKED THE PLUGS FOR A SPARK AND ALL THREE S/PLUGS SEEM TO BE GETTING POWER. ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANKS!! "

Default " The timing is fixed and does

" The timing is fixed and does not change. Check for a sheared fly wheel key, compression on all cylinders.You can run the motor at full throttle ( on the water ) and look in the carburetors to see if the same amount of fuel is going in each cylinder. "

Rod Kruse Guest

Default " The flywheel is ok, compress

" The flywheel is ok, compression on top 130, center and bottom are both 120. The boat had been stored for the last 3 years. I have replaced fuel tank, hoses, fuel line, impeller, lower gear oil, put carb kits in last week. There is spark at all three plugs. The only thing I have not checked is the timing and the electrical parts. On land the motor will idle and power-up great(in gear and in neutral), on the water it will power up in neutral but when I put it gear and give it throttle the engine won't go past 1000rpm and boggs out after a second or two. Carbs seem to be getting good fuel.

Thanks Again! "

Rod Kruse Guest

Default " Finally got an old style tim

" Finally got an old style timing light(one that uses a spring) to work. The new inductive styles just wouldn't on my boat. Took the boat to the water this weekend and I still have the same problem.....

On land the motor will idle and power-up great(in gear and in neutral), on the water it will power up in neutral but when I put it gear and give it throttle the engine won't go past 1000rpm and boggs out after a second or two.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
    Could it be electrical and if so how do you check these components? Thanks! "