Logo

Early 80bs 200 HP Johnson everything in fuel system seems to be OK but is still starving for fuel

jon

Regular Contributor
" Hi,

The carbs have

" Hi,

The carbs have been cleaned well a couple times, the fuel lines are clear with good filters, a working pump, new fuel etc, but it requires choke to get it past 2000 RPM's. This engine was rebuilt a few years ago and it ran great until last season. I'm wondering where else I should be looking to diagnose this problem. Thanks for any/all advice.

Jon "

"Jon.... If the compression an

"Jon.... If the compression and ignition (spark) are okay, check the timer base to see if it might be sticking. Also, have you actually removed and cleaned all six brass fixed high speed jets?

Joe
"

" Joe,

The compressio

" Joe,

The compression is good - 110 at the lowest and not more than 10 difference; Every part that can be removed on the carbs has been and it's been done twice recently, in an attempt to correct the problem. Spark and the timer base has not been looked into, thanks, that is next then. I will check that and reply. As allways Joe - Thanks, you are the man.

Jon "

" I had a situation where the

" I had a situation where the fuel line would collapse at more than 1/2 throttle. If you brought the engine back to an idle, the line would spring back and be fine. You might want to look there. "

Back