Logo

70 HP Johnson starving for fuel

K

Kevin Raymond

" Motor is about 15 years old.

" Motor is about 15 years old. I purchased last year ran great. winterized last year. Two weeks ago i replaced plugs, drained and refilled lower unit, added 6 gallons of 50:1 ratio mixed high test. Took boat out it performed flawlessly for aprox 3 hours ran like a top. 7 days later took boat out agin didn't add any fuel, motor would not run at full speed when i left the dock i thought i flooded it when i started it, i ran motor at low speed aprox 5 min it cleared up ran great for a short time then acted like it was starved for fuel. checked water seperator filter it was full of fuel no water. filter screen on motor looks clear.i can not find other filters. The motor will run great for short distance then will act starved for fuel .It did this a number of times took boat out of water fearing i would be stranded. Ihave much auto and electric experiance but this my first boat. Any help ? "

"Kevin.... If you have a built

"Kevin.... If you have a built in tank, check where the rubber fuel hose attaches to the tank for a "Anti Siphon Valve". It will be aluminum, about 2" long and the insides will consist of a Ball, Spring, and Ball Seatc. If it exists, knock out the insides, converting it to a straight through fitting. Those valves are notorious for causing a fuel restriction.

If you are using portable tanks, and even if you are not, check thoroughly for fuel/air leaks at the fuel connectors, etc. A slight leak would cause the engine to surge and/or die out.

Joe
"

" From the expereience that I

" From the expereience that I had, Very similar symptoms....Diaphram in the fuel pump was deteriorating from age & this junk gas New england has to live with. Pieces throughout the fuel system...these tiny & I mean tiny critters would hide out somewhere & come out whenever they cared to & plug up the jets again...I had carbs off 5 timnes...goes pretty quick after the first couple times.....Something to consider...good luck, roger "

Back