Logo

5hp yahama air cooled will not start

R

roy mc kelvey

" please help, my aux engine a

" please help, my aux engine always was reliable but it will not start this year. i have cleaned the points and fitted a new spark plug but there doesn't seem to be any spark at the plug. i also used new fuel to try to help but to no avail. please help before i take a heart attack pulling the starter card "

" if there is no spark, then t

" if there is no spark, then the fuel is not the problem.seems that you will have to remove the flywheel and check the stater/magneto assembly and start from there.spark plug may be improperly gapped, Ignition points improperly gappped, burned or dirty,lose , broken wire or frayed insulation. "

"Roy..... You say "There d

"Roy..... You say "There doesn't seem to be any spark". You don't actually say there is none. If you're trying to check the spark by holding the spark plug against the block, that could very well mislead you. Rig up some kind of spark tester whereas you can set a gap of 1/4" for the spark to jump (with the s/plug removed).

If it jumps that normal test gap, the spark (ignition) is okay, and your problem is probably a gummed carburetor. If you absolutely have no spark, get back to us.

Joe
"

I've got a question for you on a similar line. My 1 hp tanaka TOB-12B doesn't have any spark when I crank over the motor while holding the plug against the block. I also have a "primary wire" (according to the illustrated parts manual) sticking out the side with a connector on the end, but no matching connector to connect it to. Does this primary wire need to be grounded, or connected to something? Is there something else to check. I've already cleaned some rust off of the rotor and the pick ups from the magneto thingy that are attached to the motor at the base of the spark plug wire. I had a weak spark once when the primary wire connector was wedged between some slats in the air cooled muffler, but I can't get even that little spark back now.

Back