Logo

Old Evenrude 115 cuts out at high speeds

jerry

" I have a 1969 Evenrude 115 e

" I have a 1969 Evenrude 115 electric shift that starts great and runs great at low speeds. At middle to high speeds it cuts out badly. The higher the speed the worse it is. All 4 cylinders are firing. I have redone carbs, new plugs, wires. Compression is good. Any advise from anyone what I should try next? Thanks. "

"Jerry..... If you have good c

"Jerry..... If you have good compression (100+ psi and even on all cylinders), and proper spark (Jumps a 1/4" gap with a strong blue flame on all cylinders), you are overlooking something in the carburetors. The most likely area being the brass fixed high speed jets and/or the adjustment of the slow speed adjustable needle valves. For those that are not aware of it, the fixed h/s jets are near the center bottom of the float chamber, behind that 7/16" hex bolt on the float chamber lower side area.

Joe
"

" 1969 115 Johnson drops cylin

" 1969 115 Johnson drops cylinder at high speed. Help please! I have a 115 johnson 1969 (115esl69), which starts well, runs well for the first 15-20 minutes, then intermittently starts to drop cylinders. After about 30 minutes, erratic operation is most noticible at idle, smooth at mid-range, then runs as if it has 1 dead cylinder at WOT. I believe it is more than 1 cylinder, changes randomly. Actually you can hear it trying to cut in, off and on, and feel it in thrust produced. Kind of surging. Checked all connections I can find. Aggreviating, and sounds like the engine will shake itself apart if left there for long.

Noticed distributor contacts are slightly worn. New rotor and coil (1yr). New fuel pump.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe Edens "

Back