Logo

Replace exh manifolds on 1964 flagship

jedlu

I need to replace the manifol

I need to replace the manifolds on a 327 flagship
It is in an owens. the manifolds i bought have 1 less hose connection and i need to know how to reroute the hoses.

"You're going to need a co

"You're going to need a cooling system diagram to determine which connection is missing, Jedlu. Can't help you much other than to suggest you search for a manual for your engine(s) - there is a manual for the Owens 327 on this site, contact the Owens Yacht Marque Club or the Antique and Classic Boat Society.

"

" the orig. manifold has 2 con

" the orig. manifold has 2 connections at the end toward the water pump. water comes into the exhaust manifold from the pump and back out to the block. water also flows from the intake manifold thru the top of the riser and out the exhaust. the problem is that there is one "hole" in the back of the replacement, not 2.
How should the hoses be routed? Can you go from the pump to the block, and one to the manifold? "

"It's not a good idea to r

"It's not a good idea to route cold water into the block directly from the pump. It's routed through the exhaust manifold(s) to warm it before entering the block. I guess the key question here is what were each of the 2 connections connected to? Really need a diagram here to show connections, hose routings, thermostat (if used), etc.

"

First thanks for the help
fr

First thanks for the help
from an Owens diagram
1 hose from pump to manifold
1 hose back to block
1 hose from intake to riser
the 2 in end on manifold are at 1 end by pump
new units have enough holes but located in
different spots
does length of hose matter????
I am wondering if water will flow back to block
or out the exh??

"Okay, so the flow is pump to

"Okay, so the flow is pump to manifold (low end to high end) into the block and out of the intake with a hose back to the riser and out the exhaust. This would be on both sides of the V8. Length of the hose doesn't really matter, but the locations of the connections on the manifold do. Your Owens diagram should show the flow, but you could just use a garden hose to determine flow through the manifolds. One of the holes in the original manifolds might have been for a gearbox cooler.

Wish I could be more specific, but in general make all your connections so that water flows uphill - lower to higher, so that the manifolds, block, heads and hoses are all filled against gravity. The last hose to the riser can go downhill, however.

"

Back