Logo

1970 60HP Evinrude cut out

roger

" Was running at the dock when

" Was running at the dock when it just cut out.
Haven't been able to get it started since.
Got fuel, clean carbs, fresh battery.
Where should I look ? "

"Roger.... First things first.

"Roger.... First things first. Check the compression. It should be 100+ psi and even on all cylinders. Then, check the spark. On that model, the spark should jump 1/4" gap on all cylinders with a strong blue flame. I strongly suspect you're going to find that you do not have ignition (spark).

If so, purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point.

Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack. Now, the ground wire from the bulb, you want connected to any powerhead ground. The wire that is connected to the positive point of that bulb, connect it to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board. If memory serves me right, that's a blue wire.

Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed.

Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure. Good Luck.

Joe
"

check under the flywheel for

check under the flywheel for proper point gap.The anti reversing spring may be broken and it will cut off the ignition.

" Have the vent housing (d

" Have the vent housing (distributor cap) checked ,they have been known to fail without warning. "

" Thanks,
Going out of town f

" Thanks,
Going out of town for a while but will try that out when I get back. "

Back