Logo

Johnson 1980 140 hp

adureau

" starts then it kills , somet

" starts then it kills , sometimes no fire on some cyls, book said to disconnect d kill wire, wire on both power packs to timer base. motor started up and ran, fire on all cyls now. chocked it to kill motor. would it be the key switch, or may be something else thanks al "

"Adureau.... In all probabilit

"Adureau.... In all probability it is the ignition switch. To prove that, do this. At the back of the ignition switch, remove that Black/Yellow wire. If you now have ignition (spark), the ignition switch is faulty. If you do not have spark with that wire removed, but do when you disconnect those wires at the pack(s), then there would be a short within the wiring harness somewhere. (It's normally the switch).

Joe
"

i took remote control apart t

i took remote control apart to get to key switch.
there is a round black box next to key switch with 2 or 3 wires on it one blue wire i do not have a emercency cut off switch . could that be it
thanks al

"Adureau.... That small black

"Adureau.... That small black plastic round item is the warning horn for overheating etc. I have no knowledge of any blue wire belonging in that control box. However, there should be a black/yellow wire on one of the terminals on the back of that switch. Some switches (most of them) have a raised boss whereas the screw retaining the black/yellow wire, screws straight into the switch rather than screwing in sideways like the other five screws.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

" thanks alot it was in the ha

" thanks alot it was in the harness , blk/yellow wire stripped and making contact with a wire it that lost it coating. fixed it and everything checked out ok.
you saved me a lot off down time and money. will be back thanks joe "

"Adureau....Glad to hear that

"Adureau....Glad to hear that your probelm is corrected without taking out a second mortgage my friend. Now.... where is it that I send this bill?(grin) Hoppy Boating.

Joe
"

Back