Logo

Putting a new stator on a XR2 merc

D

darsmith

" Im putting a new stator on a

" Im putting a new stator on a XR2 merc the manual says to retime the engine when the timing pointer is replaced. Is this nessary? can I mark the position on the flywheel and block,line it up when replaced. I'd rather go to the denist than take it to a tech,some around here always seem to fine other problems. thanks. "

" Mercurys are not my area of

" Mercurys are not my area of expertise but the timing pointer that you speak of is also spoken of in the same manner on various Evinrude and Johnson outboards. The purpose of which is: when the timing pointer is removed, it's very unlikely that it will be reinstalled in the same exact spot from which it was removed. Soooooo to obtain this exact location, a extended s/plug like tool is inserted in number one cylinder in such a manner whereas it will hit the piston as it nears top dead center. The engine is then turned by hand in one direction until the piston hits the tool. The mark is made on the flywheel at the pointer area. Now, the flywheel is turned in the oposite direction until it hits the tool once more. A second mark in made on the flywheel at the pointer area. A measurment is made between the two marks, dividing that measurment and making a mark between the two initial marks. That would mark the exact location where the pointer should be. What you have encountered, and what the above is for, is simply to make sure that the timing pointer is really the top dead center position. In your case, I'd say don't give it a second thought. Just put it back in the gereral area where it was. It's very unlikely you would be more than a 1/64" off, and that's not going to affect anything. (Joe 30+ years with OMC) "

Back