Logo

Hesitation

ycart0

"Hey again guys here's the

"Hey again guys here's the hesitation question?
4.3 v 6 mercruiser. 4bbl weber carb. alpha gen x

When the boat is out of the water hooked to the water hose. Once warmed up if you just really quickly just shift it to wot it hesitates and wants to die? When on the water trying to pull a skier out if it doesn't die it will just kind of bog like it is starving for fuel. I tried pulling it on the trailer and one it go so far almost like the engine just didn't have the power one time.
I have rebuilt the cart at one time but maybe i need to try it again? But I would like to eliminate everything else. On this boat the fuel tank is in the front of it. I replace the anti syphone valve on the tank. I was thinking today that it could be small holes in the fuel line causing air suction. Or maybe the fuel water filter system giveing problems. What is the simplest way to determine that those aren't my problem and that I need to concentrate on the carb?
Also I check the compression on the engine. Everything checked ok? I put a new distriber cap and roter button? New plugs? One thing i didn't replace was plug wires but the resistace all looked good on those.
Another thing this boat does and has done all summer is when out on the lake when can ride for 30 minutes then stop and turn off the engine. If I directly start it back up within 30 secs to a minute it starts fine. But if we sit for 5 to 10 minutes and then start this is what happens:
1 st crank we let the engine turn about 5 times not start, then 2 nd crank similar about after 3 to 5 turns I let off the switch. 3rd crank it starts up.

What's my solutions guys Thanks Tracy"

"1. Get the carb properly rebu

"1. Get the carb properly rebuilt, the Accelerator pump failure will cause a hesitation
2. what was the engine compression?
3. a resistance test of the plug wires wont tell you if they a cross firing, there by causing a mis.
4. make sure the fuel lines are tight, if you think there might be an issue, replace, it's not worth playing around with..

The restart issue can be a problem with the carb especially if the idle mixtures aren't properly set, or if it's leaking/seaping fuel into the engine."

"One other thing I thought of

"One other thing I thought of that might be related is that in the I do notice fuel smell towards the front of the boat in the storage places under the front seats? And the last few times pulling the boat out of the water I would notice that the water draining out look like it has fuel or oil mix in the water that is draining from the plug hole? Tommorrow is suppose to be in the low 70s so we are planning a final boat ride before winterization, so I can give you more details tommow? Any suggestons,comments, or help is really appreciated. Thanks"

Worn out fuel fill/vent lines

Worn out fuel fill/vent lines that are seeping will cause a fuel smell.

150 is great.. just wouldn&#39

150 is great.. just wouldn't want to see 120 or less just wondering.. that'ts geat !!

"I would notice that the w

"I would notice that the water draining out look like it has fuel or oil mix in the water that is draining from the plug hole?"

I would be concerned with raw fuel leaking into the bilge and try and fix the problem before operating the boat.and what Brian and Guy said.
when in doubt about a fuel system I would hook up a seperate fuel tank with fresh fuel.

Back